Should cycle riders stay in single file?

This statement will probably be questioned, but HGV drivers are trained in a different way to non HGV motorists

You're right, but I think you're missing out the other side of this - cyclists are probably also car drivers rather than HGV drivers. Most of them probably have absolutely no idea how invisible they are when they come up the nearside of an HGV and it simply won't occur to them that they can't be seen in the same way they would be by a car driver.

Most of them probably have absolutely no idea how invisible they are when they come up the nearside of an HGV and it simply won't occur to them that they can't be seen in the same way they would be by a car driver.

Maybe they should read the Highway Code..

"73

Pay particular attention to long vehicles which need a lot of room to manoeuvre at corners. Be aware that drivers may not see you. They may have to move over to the right before turning left. Wait until they have completed the manoeuvre because the rear wheels come very close to the kerb while turning. Do not be tempted to ride in the space between them and the kerb."

Maybe they should read the Highway Code..

"73

Pay particular attention to long vehicles which need a lot of room to manoeuvre at corners. Be aware that drivers may not see you. They may have to move over to the right before turning left. Wait until they have completed the manoeuvre because the rear wheels come very close to the kerb while turning. Do not be tempted to ride in the space between them and the kerb."

It's not about reading the Highway Code, it's simply about comprehension of what it means for people who have probably never even sat in an HGV and have no understanding of how different they are to cars. As an occasional cyclist, I would never pull up at traffic lights on the nearside of an HGV because I have been in one and I know what the visibility is like. How many cyclists have done that?

count yourselfs lucky ,i was driving on penistone road the other day with a cyclist on one side which i was trying to give enough room to wobble about as usual and then another decided to come down the other side of my car, i couldnt give them both enough room to wobble about.

So you were travelling slowly enough that a bike could come up alongside you, but you were also driving next to another bike... How did you end up in that position, were you trying to overtake but weren't fast enough?

How far is a safe distance? How long is a piece of string?

The fact remains that cyclists should ride in single file. If they choose not to, they are already breaking the spirit of the law and if the odd one or two get knocked off....SO BE IT!:)

It was established on the first page that they do not have to ride in single file.

There is no 'spirit' of the law in this case, it's quite clear that cyclists can ride 2 abreast. If you hit them because you're a poor driver then it's entirely your own fault.

It was established on the first page that they do not have to ride in single file.

There is no 'spirit' of the law in this case, it's quite clear that cyclists can ride 2 abreast. If you hit them because you're a poor driver then it's entirely your own fault.

You have obviously never driven a large vehicle in York, Cyclone. Do you realise just how long it takes picking errant cyclist out of your tyre tread ? :hihi:

I have a social conscience too and feel that I would not like to have to deal with a death on my hands because some misguided cyclist has a huge ECO chip on his/her shoulder.

Are you sure you do, because you seemed to be implying that you would knock over cyclists for inconveniencing you (for a few seconds probably) and that your incompetence would be their own fault.

Your compounding your ignorance with your bad attitude and assumption that cyclists have a chip on their shoulder.

Do you run because you have an ECO chip on your shoulder, or do you enjoy it?

I drive (and walk, and run and cycle), when I cycle it's because it's quicker to do so than to drive, any eco benefit is purely an unlooked for bonus.

Archived