Wardsend Steelworks

My father Harry Crapper worked for years at Wardsend Steelworks on the corner of Herries Road and Penistone Road. I used always sit upstairs on the bus to try and catch sight of my dad at work through the open doors. At the time there was a holding pond at the front which was visible from the road. Does anyone remember the works and have any stories about it, my dad never said a deal about it but i think he was a tongue man on the rollers. I think it was demolished around the late sixties and is now has a mix of industrial units on the site.

My father Harry Crapper worked for years at Wardsend Steelworks on the corner of Herries Road and Penistone Road. I used always sit upstairs on the bus to try and catch sight of my dad at work through the open doors. At the time there was a holding pond at the front which was visible from the road. Does anyone remember the works and have any stories about it, my dad never said a deal about it but i think he was a tongue man on the rollers. I think it was demolished around the late sixties and is now has a mix of industrial units on the site.

Is your dad the same Harry who is [was] a greyhound dog trainer.

No Cuttsie the greyhound trainer is my elder brother Harry named after my dad. He is still training runners for Owlerton but on a much smaller scale these days. I am doing a bit of writing about my family and I would love to see a photo of the old Wardsend steelworkes if any one can tell me where to find one. Thanks for the interest in my brother Cuttsie does he know you ?.

No Cuttsie the greyhound trainer is my elder brother Harry named after my dad. He is still training runners for Owlerton but on a much smaller scale these days. I am doing a bit of writing about my family and I would love to see a photo of the old Wardsend steelworkes if any one can tell me where to find one. Thanks for the interest in my brother Cuttsie does he know you ?.

Yep, me and Harry go back to our Walkley days when I used to have a pint with him in the Royal on Walkley st.

Other pals at that time were [are] Ken Sawyer,Barrie Huchinson, Frank Clarke,Les Hartley, etc, etc.

When I go to the dogs these days I always tell em all to back Harry Crappers dogs! Lost a few, won a few,its how the cookie crumbles.

P.S. two old Owlertonions on the forum, Retep and Old Tup may be able to help as they are experts on the district.

I remember the works from being a kid we used to watch the men working inside it made my mind up never to go in the steel works.we used to walk on the black ash path at the side of it,where the trading estate is was allotments and the pond was on the other side of the road where the cars sales pitch is and we used to make rafts and sail on it.

Thanks Cuttsie i will see H this weekend and mention you and the names you mentioned, does he know you as Cuttsie ?

No Harry always called me pal! Ah tha goin on pall, or get me pal a pint Jack.[Jack Eyre] landlord of the Royal on Walkley St].

Harry was one of the lads who was about 5 years older than me and unusually for the time [about 1965] he always seemed to wear fancy braces.

Another one of the lads who knocked around with Harry at the time was called Norman Gill [a bricklayer] who lived on Hoole St and he was a big character around Walkley at the time.

Anothe thing that i remember is that all the lads called Harry ---- Robin! for some reason and it was years before i found out his proper name was Harry when i saw him at Owlerton dog track.

Archived