Forgotten about, in solitary confinement for 2yrs while case is on hold

BLIMEY! This poor bloke has had a couple of rubbish years, but he made £12 million out of it.

"A US jury has awarded a man $22m (£12m) after he was kept in solitary confinement without trial for nearly two years over an alleged drink driving offence.

Stephen Slevin, 58, was arrested in August 2005 in Dona Ana County, New Mexico.

He was charged with possession of a stolen vehicle, aggravated driving while under the influence, driving with a suspended licence, possession of an open container of alcohol in a vehicle and improper use of registration.

But his case was not resolved until June 2007, when it was dismissed without prejudice after a district judge found him "incompetent and not dangerous".

Mr Slevin's lawyer said his client had been kept in virtual "false imprisonment" and been left to "decay" in jail.

During his incarceration, he says, he was even forced to pull out his own tooth after he was refused a visit to a dentist."

Not that he had a choice, but it got me thinking: If I DID have the choice, would I spend 2 years neglected in solitary confinement if there was a guaranteed £12 million at the end?

I'm still thinking it over, what would you do?

Saying you'd do it knowing that it was for two years, and knowing that at the end of it there would be a financial "reward" that would enable you to be totally free for the remainder of your life, is a lot different to being put through that torture without those two certainties.

Before you say yes, have a look at Ed Wardells "alone in the wild".

That's not really relevant to this situation.

Wasn't he that bloke who thought he could survive off the land but it turned out he had no hunting/survival experience or knowledge? :hihi:

Saying you'd do it knowing that it was for two years, and knowing that at the end of it there would be a financial "reward" that would enable you to be totally free for the remainder of your life, is a lot different to being put through that torture without those two certainties.

Yes. But in this situation you DO know there's £12m and freedom at the end.

blimey! this poor bloke has had a couple of rubbish years, but he made £12 million out of it.

"a us jury has awarded a man $22m (£12m) after he was kept in solitary confinement without trial for nearly two years over an alleged drink driving offence.

Stephen slevin, 58, was arrested in august 2005 in dona ana county, new mexico.

He was charged with possession of a stolen vehicle, aggravated driving while under the influence, driving with a suspended licence, possession of an open container of alcohol in a vehicle and improper use of registration.

But his case was not resolved until june 2007, when it was dismissed without prejudice after a district judge found him "incompetent and not dangerous".

Mr slevin's lawyer said his client had been kept in virtual "false imprisonment" and been left to "decay" in jail.

During his incarceration, he says, he was even forced to pull out his own tooth after he was refused a visit to a dentist."

not that he had a choice, but it got me thinking: If i did have the choice, would i spend 2 years neglected in solitary confinement if there was a guaranteed £12 million at the end?

I'm still thinking it over, what would you do?

british justice isnt much better.

Michael Peterson has been in jail since 1974 for stealing £26. 18p all bar 4 of those years he has served in solitary confinement

I think his behaviour while inside might have something to do with that!

Also, his trial was completed. The guy in the link was in solitary confinement for 2 years while his trial was on hold.

Archived