Concordia lawsuit for £292 million

Surely travel insurance should cover these costs?

As for compensation I would expect a payment commiserate to a

It should if you have it, but where an incident is clearly the responsibility of the company's employee, it's reasonable to expect the company to pay those costs anyway and save you having to claim on your insurance.

The one thing insurance won't cover, of course, is punitive damages.

Take a look at this......

http://www.costaconcordiaaccidentattorney.com

This b*tard is just sick. He actually bought a domain name to get a wonderful attention seeking advert.

Bragging on his website how he will represent everyone pronto on a CFA (no win no fee) basis as if its some quick tripping claim! Doing smug little interviews with the media.. unbelievable.

I thought I had seen it all but just can't get my breath.

Anyway, back to the OP. Personally something is very wrong and sensationalist about this story. I simply do not beleive that any civil court of law - even a mental american one - would award such an amount.

Tragic circumstances as they are, in my experience fatal accidents rarely reach anything above 2-3 million at the most extreme.

As for 'psychological' injuries and 'trauma' for the survivors - what price really can you put on that. Don't we not all have near misses and tragic circumstances in our lives. A couple of dozen thousand perhaps.

I would be interested to see the actual judgment -vs- the inital claim.

Anyway, back to the OP. Personally something is very wrong and sensationalist about this story. I simply do not beleive that any civil court of law - even a mental american one - would award such an amount.

Damages in American civil suits are decided by a jury, but can be altered on appeal by a judge.

The woman who placed a cup of fresh hot coffee from McDonalds, in between her legs, whilst driving, was awarded $86 million in damages for burns and related stress. It was reduced on appeal to about $5,000, if I recall correctly...

A man who ordered a BMW from Germany and found it had arrived with a fault, was awarded $30 million in punitive damages in order to teach BMW a lesson that faulty goods weren't acceptable. (I don't know if that was overturned on appeal. I'll eat my hat if I find that it wasn't.)

It's quite likely that a jury will award hundreds of millions in damages, but it's almost certain that the award will be slashed on appeal. Of course, that won't matter to the lawyers, who will have already been paid their percentage of the millions before the appeal takes place.

Wow. Thank god that process aint over here. I would have quit law years ago.

How on earth can civil litigation be decided by lay members who will undoubtely be making a judgment on something by an emotive rather than balanced response. Amazing.

You really do learn something every day.

Archived