Delighted to see University applications down 9%..

It sounds like students with 2:1 degrees aren't the only ones with chips on their shoulders.....

I think he's scared of them TBH, the students will be able to question his decisions. He's not going to like that, it will undermine him.

As the title says, I'm delighted to see university applications down 9 per cent. I only hope it carries on in the same direction.

Perhaps now I'll get fewer idiots with chips on their shoulders coming to job interviews, thinking the world owes them a living just because they studied a worthless degree in a bizarre subject for three years!

The policy of allowing so many people to go to university has made all but the top degrees completely worthless and created a generation of misguided out-dated 2:1-owning chimps.

Give me a keen 18-year-old with an open mind, rather than a smart-arse 23-year-old with a fancy bit of paper! In my experience, the only difference between the two is the bit of paper.

Rant over.

Hopefully some of them will set their sights a little lower and take on some of the jobs that are available.

As the title says, I'm delighted to see university applications down 9 per cent. I only hope it carries on in the same direction.

Perhaps now I'll get fewer idiots with chips on their shoulders coming to job interviews, thinking the world owes them a living just because they studied a worthless degree in a bizarre subject for three years!

The policy of allowing so many people to go to university has made all but the top degrees completely worthless and created a generation of misguided out-dated 2:1-owning chimps.

Give me a keen 18-year-old with an open mind, rather than a smart-arse 23-year-old with a fancy bit of paper! In my experience, the only difference between the two is the bit of paper.

Rant over.

I agree. There's no denying that a degree is necessary to do certain jobs or that having a degree is desirable to see the applicant can learn. But there's far too man now.

If everybody has a degree they're not woth anything...

Isn't it odd to see this headline following on from this last year and the year before

University applications up 16.5%

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/jan/31/ucas-reports-record-student-applications

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8619922.stm

As was obvious a year ago, a massive amount of student decided to abandon their gap year and go to university a year earlier.

So after a 16.5% surge and another 5.5% a year ago it isn't exactly rocket science to assume it might drop back again. Folks usually only go to university once.:loopy::loopy:

You beat me to it...........obviously applications were massively increased last year, with potential students able to start uni before the fee increase doing so. The number of applications last year was UNUSUALLY HIGH. It would have been very surprising if they had increased again on this despite what the dumb headlines would like us to believe:loopy:

And in reply to the 'is a degree worth anything nowadays' comments. Obviously for certain professions a relevant degree is a pre-requisite - as in medicine, law etc. Having a degree in say, Media Studies, is somewhat different matter though and may, or may not, help a young person in their career.

You beat me to it...........obviously applications were massively increased last year, with potential students able to start uni before the fee increase doing so. The number of applications last year was UNUSUALLY HIGH. It would have been very surprising if they had increased again on this despite what the dumb headlines would like us to believe:loopy:

And in reply to the 'is a degree worth anything nowadays' comments. Obviously for certain professions a relevant degree is a pre-requisite - as in medicine, law etc. Having a degree in say, Media Studies, is somewhat different matter though and may, or may not, help a young person in their career.

So if it was up 16.5% and then down 9.5% this year the actual change is a 7% increase.

So this is a rubbish thread based on nothing really isnt it.

Rant over.

Not sure I understand this post.

The number of applicants may be down but that will not presumably reduce the number of places ergo the number of students ergo the number of graduates.

Therefore no reduction in number of smart arses applying for your jobs.....unless I have missed something?

Hopefully some of them will set their sights a little lower and take on some of the jobs that are available.

What available jobs are there for anyone let alone young people who don't have experience because of their age? A degree is a way of securing a relatively decent income for some people, perhaps you feel threatened by graduates? Perhaps you'd rather see them stacking shelves in Tescos for their entire life, would you be prepared to do that?

What available jobs are there?

None but what op is trying to say is that students think just because they have a useless peice of paper they are too good to stack shelves just like last week in the news with the student who said she was too good to work at poundland.

Archived