Delighted to see University applications down 9%..

None but what op is trying to say is that students think just because they have a useless peice of paper they are too good to stack shelves just like last week in the news with the student who said she was too good to work at poundland.

How many jobs for graduates are there at Poundland? I know a graduate who applied for a job with them but she was turned down for being over qualified. Perhaps you think Poundland should only employ graduates; that's going to go down really well with the none academic community isn't it?

As the title says, I'm delighted to see university applications down 9 per cent. I only hope it carries on in the same direction.

Perhaps now I'll get fewer idiots with chips on their shoulders coming to job interviews, thinking the world owes them a living just because they studied a worthless degree in a bizarre subject for three years!

The policy of allowing so many people to go to university has made all but the top degrees completely worthless and created a generation of misguided out-dated 2:1-owning chimps.

Give me a keen 18-year-old with an open mind, rather than a smart-arse 23-year-old with a fancy bit of paper! In my experience, the only difference between the two is the bit of paper.

Rant over.

Perhaps your a tad jealous that they have a degree and you don't.

As the title says, I'm delighted to see university applications down 9 per cent. I only hope it carries on in the same direction.

Perhaps now I'll get fewer idiots with chips on their shoulders coming to job interviews, thinking the world owes them a living just because they studied a worthless degree in a bizarre subject for three years!

The policy of allowing so many people to go to university has made all but the top degrees completely worthless and created a generation of misguided out-dated 2:1-owning chimps.

Give me a keen 18-year-old with an open mind, rather than a smart-arse 23-year-old with a fancy bit of paper! In my experience, the only difference between the two is the bit of paper.

Rant over.

I presume you are a current applicant hoping to squeeze in with the dearth of competition.

None but what op is trying to say is that students think just because they have a useless peice of paper they are too good to stack shelves just like last week in the news with the student who said she was too good to work at poundland.

The whole point of going to Uni is not to work at places like poundland isn't it. Leave that to people who don't bother getting any formal qualifications.

So in that respect I don't think it's unreasonable to think you are 'too good' to work at poundland.

Paying £50k+ for an education you should at least expect to be getting something professional at a junior level.

I feel for a lot of recent grads, the UK has let them down big time.

Do you think then, we have too many graduates ? You also seem to suggest that people who do shop work didn't do a degree because they were lazy earlier in life. I haven't got a degree, but aren't they hard ? If it just takes "hard work" surely shop workers should be able to get a degree because they often work hard. I thought you had to have intelligence, far higher than average intelligence so degrees sort the wheat from the chaff.

I've been thinking about my current career and concluded that I'm not sure I want to go to a university that would have me as a student. Have I got this all wrong ?

Paying £50k+ for an education you should at least expect to be getting something professional at a junior level.

A degree is not necessarily a professional qualification. If you want to use a degree to enter a profession, you need a degree which will suit you for entry to that profession.

Or could they have let themselves down by opting for 'easy' courses which do not lead to employment rather than by opting for the 'harder' courses, many of which do?

The whole point of going to Uni is not to work at places like poundland isn't it. Leave that to people who don't bother getting any formal qualifications.

So in that respect I don't think it's unreasonable to think you are 'too good' to work at poundland.

I think the point is that there aren’t enough professional jobs for all the graduates many of the job opportunities are in lower paid jobs that don’t require a degree.

Archived