London School of Economics brings back blasphemy

How incredibly closed minded of you.

No more close minded than followers of a religion who throw their toys out of the pram and threaten to kill us all everytime someone criticises something they do, no matter how accurate the criticism may be.

If he's referring to how the thread is going to end, he's almost certainly right. In any story about Muslims or Islam, whatever the context, the thread always degenerates into a slanging match between both sets of extremists.

Unfortunately you're probably right, I see the baiting has already begun: :(

I'd be most interested in our left leaning heckling posters. Their absence is a little puzzling they're usually fast out of the blocks to defend this sort of thing.

I have been watching this unfold. The "jesus & Mo" cartoons aren't even offensive. It's satire. can you imagine what it would be like if religious groups had real power as they once did? There would be stonings and burning at the stake before long.

I have been watching this unfold. The "jesus & Mo" cartoons aren't even offensive. It's satire. can you imagine what it would be like if religious groups had real power as they once did? There would be stonings and burning at the stake before long.

If some people think it's offensive then any sensible person would stop causing offence, otherwise you are arguing in favour of muslims jeering the coffins of servicemen killed in Afghanistan.

If some people think it's offensive then any sensible person would stop causing offence, otherwise you are arguing in favour of muslims jeering the coffins of servicemen killed in Afghanistan.

I was making a point that freedom of speech means just that. Your meaning of 'offensive' may not be mine. How do we decide what is offensive? Are you saying that I shouldn't criticise Islam so that Muslims won't protest in return?

That would confuse actual people with figures some poeple think are true and most people don't and in any regard are millenia dead even if they did exist.

Bad idea to confuse the two.

If religous sorts of whatever flavour start getting wah wah wah about people having a laugh then they need to return to what their scriptures say and turn the other cheek.

I was making a point that freedom of speech means just that. Your meaning of 'offensive' may not be mine. How do we decide what is offensive? Are you saying that I shouldn't criticise Islam so that Muslims won't protest in return?

This forum is full of people slagging off muslims. That's fine, they are mostly quite stupid people who have probably never met a muslim in their life.

A university is different, students have the right not to have their religion mocked.

Archived