Vehicles powered by water

911wasalie

If anybody was watching BBC4's series on botany the other night then they would have seen a scientist who is trying to use photosynthesising plants to produce hydrogen and oxygen from water to use in a hydrogen cell vehicle, but at the moment even this has to be supplemented by battery power to help the photosynthesis along.

If anybody was watching BBC4's series on botany the other night then they would have seen a scientist who is trying to use photosynthesising plants to produce hydrogen and oxygen from water to use in a hydrogen cell vehicle...

Why?

It is so much easier just to grow oil.

Really, how did you work that out?

How did I work out that a petrol engine doesn't use fuel when coasting?

It's part of the design (in a modern injection engine). If your foot is off the throttle and the engine is being turned over by momentum then no fuel is injected.

I don't want to argue with you since by the above statement you obviously know very little about the subject.

Do you think?

• Old car with a carburettor – take your foot off the accelerator pedal with the car in gear and fuel is still drawn through into the engine. Fuel savings could be made by coasting out of gear.
  • Modern car with electronic engine management – fuel and ignition systems are effectively combined and controlled by one Electronic Control Unit (ECU). Take your foot off the accelerator and the ECU cuts the fuel supply to the injectors anyway so there's nothing to be gained by coasting.
  • Modern diesel engines also have the ability to shut off the fuel when you take your foot off the accelerator.

No, I don't think you think.

How did I work out that a petrol engine doesn't use fuel when coasting?

It's part of the design (in a modern injection engine). If your foot is off the throttle and the engine is being turned over by momentum then no fuel is injected.

From that logic, it should keep going without fuel.

Disconnect the fuel line and see if stops.

Archived