Advice about letters from debt collectors

You can always send a letter asking for the original contract, signed and countersigned and a breakdown of the costs, otherwise its not valid.

Abbey National tried in on with me for £180, on some account I had when I was 18. Obviously the account was closed and there may have been a few pence overdrawn. They had been adding interest all these years!

I contacted a solicitor, asked for breakdown and the original contract. They contacted me a month later saying 'just go into a bank and pay £3.40 and the matter is closed'!!

Needless to say, I never did and I never heard from them again.

Should of sued the scumbags for attempted fraud.

Been there done it and had the CCJ's to prove it. Call them and make them an offer you can stick to, and stick to it, it won't go away just because you refuse to pay it.

The charges have been added to the original debt because you haven't paid it or haven't stuck to a payment plan, therefore you have to pay those as well, you can't simply refuse to pay them.

If you stick to a payment plan, in a few months they may be able to reduce the debt, but to be honest that's unlikely to happen now you've ignored them for so long.

The charges and fees were a result of your non-payment, they didn't just appear from nowhere and they were there in the small print when you took out the debt in the first place.

Get some advice, bite the bullet, talk to them and pay them what you legitimately owe.

Thank you for your advice, however since i lost my jsa in august 2010 i have had no income coming in since then and i dont own any property, a car or anything of value. I also remember a tv advert that said they write off the interest and charges when youve paid so much back.

I have paid back the amount that i borrowed and some interest. Its all the other charges and fees that i got when i couldnt pay that i refuse to pay back.

Was the debt insured? loan or credit card?

If so you are saying you could not pay it back when you were out of work. Therefore you may not be liable for repayments during that period and they should not have been adding charges.

Thank you for your advice, however since i lost my jsa in august 2010 i have had no income coming in since then and i dont own any property, a car or anything of value. I also remember a tv advert that said they write off the interest and charges when youve paid so much back.

if you have no income coming in, how have you been surviving?

Amy how ridiculous are you!? You OWE the money its called INTEREST because you stopped paying the money you borrowed! Trying sob stories about how you dont have a job and how your not getting jsa will not work. just go job hunting its not impossible to get a job if you try then pay off what you owe. :loopy: :loopy: :loopy:

Was the debt insured? loan or credit card?

If so you are saying you could not pay it back when you were out of work. Therefore you may not be liable for repayments during that period and they should not have been adding charges.

It was a credit card and i had payment protection but when i rang the bank and told them i lost my job and could not pay, they told me to ask family and friends to try and help out and phone back if not. 3 days later i got a letter saying they had cancelled my ppi as i wasnt working and to contact them about making repayments.

It was a credit card and i had payment protection but when i rang the bank and told them i lost my job and could not pay, they told me to ask family and friends to try and help out and phone back if not. 3 days later i got a letter saying they had cancelled my ppi as i wasnt working and to contact them about making repayments.

Its all tactics they use.

What you need to do is get independant advice on how to handle your creditors. Banks / lenders are not your friends, they just want to get paid and then some.

What you can do now is get them to stop interest and charges. Contact national debt line for advice.

I was just wondering if debt collectors can send you as many letters as they want asking for payment. The debt is from 2006 and i was paying a small amount every month until two years ago when i lost the job i had. I have not written to or spoke to the company for over two years and from jan 1st 2011 up to today, i have recieved 204 letters from them.

go here - http://www.all-about-debt.co.uk/index.php

Start reading. The guy who runs this knows the business of banking and debt inside out (Username:Niddy or Never In Doubt). His lieutenants are also very knowledgeable.

Arm yourself with your rights, and all will be well.

Archived