Advice about letters from debt collectors

Did I read that bit right - you had payment protection insurance but they did not pay out when you lost your job? You need to be seeking advice about claiming that back, it sounds to me like they sold you insurance that wasn't fit for the purpose that they sold it to you for. And asking you to ask family and friends for money is ridiculous, they simply cannot do that.

Might it be that the OP didn't lose the job but left voluntarily? Would the ins. pay out then?..just thinking out loud really.. :)

She needs to claim back the PPI, cos obviously it didn't serve her as it is supposed to do. Thefore, missold. You're entitled to a refund!

She'd be better of in (if it happened like she said) in getting legal advice since the PPI should have paid out and she shouldn't have this debt.

It can't be cancelled due to having no job if it's supposed to pay out in exactly that circumstance.

She'd be better of in (if it happened like she said) in getting legal advice since the PPI should have paid out and she shouldn't have this debt.

It can't be cancelled due to having no job if it's supposed to pay out in exactly that circumstance.

I agree with you. In the end it's all a bit of speculation (in that if it happened like she says). She needs professional advice. Simple as!

Interesting link: http://www.debtwatchdog.com/statute-barred-debt-england-and-wales-Article-215.html

The inference on this, is that if you do ignore them, eventually it will become 'Statute Barred' But if you enter into arrangements and dialogue with them, it's then that they have you over a barrel.

Which sort of goes against the advice earlier on in the thread, to get in touch with them and make arrangements to pay.

Hmmmmm...very strange! :huh::suspect: Don't know what to make of that!

The inference on this, is that if you do ignore them, eventually it will become 'Statute Barred' But if you enter into arrangements and dialogue with them, it's then that they have you over a barrel.

Unless they choose to pursue that debt through a court.

Ignoring a debt for 6 years is not an easy task in itself anyway.

Unless they choose to pursue that debt through a court.

Ignoring a debt for 6 years is not an easy task in itself anyway.

Well if they take it to court, then the Statute Barred criteria isn't fulfilled anyway. So it remains 'live'.

And yes I admit, ducking and diving for 6 years is pretty awkward.

Well if they take it to court, then the Statute Barred criteria isn't fulfilled anyway. So it remains 'live'.

And yes I admit, ducking and diving for 6 years is pretty awkward.

Aside from the moral argument, in does a debt need to be paid?..yes it does!

It would seem that if a creditor doesn't take you to court, and sells the debt to some agency or other, they have pretty much given up on collecting the debt anyway. It's then that the 'agencies' send threatening letters etc in an attempt to make you pay......with additional fees dreamt up by themselves! As soon as you acknowledge the debt is yours, they can hound you forever more! And take you to court (however that does cost 'them' money, which they will of course add to the debt).

It's all very crazy!

Ignore them? Or hold your hands up? :huh:

Archived