Nottingham House- Opinions

cathallangan

It's looking really good from my brief visit and it's great that the Notty's back open - first pub I went to on moving to Sheffield as a student in '05 (t'was a Sunday night for Cax's Quiztime Craic with free nachos and cheese!).

One suggestion I'd quietly make would be a jukebox (it used to have a good one in there a good few years ago) as I don't think Broomhill has one of those at the moment.

All the best with the new venture, I hope people get behind it.

Cax's quiztime craic, ha remember those nights. They were quite drunken for myself. It is me (cax) who has taken the lease on this time.

Trying to build the quizzes back up, and will be getting the likes of play your cards right and other games back on the go!

Still lots to get sorted, but getting there.

Got a Jazz/funk band called gamp playing tonight. Should be really good!!

It is the only sector of the UK drinks market that is rising year on year, which is why so many pubs are selling it, and it appeals to young and old alike, most of the 18-24 year olds in my local are drinking ale rather than lager these days (mainly, but not all, male I hasten to add).

According to some Camra info I've been reading, the volume of real ale produced in the UK has almost halved since the year 2000 and beer consumption has fallen by over 20% in just five years. However it is the only beer type expected to experience growth in 2012. Sixteen pubs close every week across the UK.

I'm not surprised. I love real ale and used to go out at least 4 or 5 nights a week and drink much more than the recommended units we see on the drink aware labels. However I have only had 4 pints this year so far - and the reason is purely financial - I've decided it's too expensive. In January I went in one of my favourite pubs to find they had put up the price from £2 to £2.20 a 10% increase. I haven't had a pay rise in over 2 years and I don't think beer is worth more than £2 a pint. So far I'm not really missing it, and finding other more rewarding things to spend my money on. So would the Nottingham be better off becoming food based like so many of the "pubs" that are managing to stay open. Really they're not for drinking, they're licensed restaurants.

Big thanks to all those who were here on Paddys day. Was a pretty crazy day/night.

Was really good to see the bar full and banter flowing between a good mixture of customers.

Hopefully there will be many more nights like it.

keeping the live music going, and this week we got Maia, a alternative acoustic folk band from Huddersfield. They sound like really talented guys, who continually switch instruments throughout songs. Should be a spectacle.

haven't got a website, think there is an old one still alive, have set up a facebook page this week, which will keep you up to date if you want to find that, just search Nottingham House

Hope this helps.

If highway child where your thing have got some real treats for you coming up in the future. Tempertons should be playing in May, The soul circle gang are playing last weekend in april, and dexter dextrous and the fingersmiths are playing start of june. Have a little listen to some of them online, think you will like. These should be some really fun lively gigs. Its definately the kind of music i want to be putting on, its just a matter of finding the bands that I can afford to pay, which can be a struggle for a small venue not charging.

All part of the fun though. Always worth it for nights when everyone is having a hoot!!

Archived