Social Workers - Damned if they do, damned if they don't

I didn't catch the beginning, and decided half way through wasn't the place to take it up (besides H was watching telly with me)

Should I bother watching it on catch up if it's available, or can you give us a potted version?

I didn't catch the beginning, and decided half way through wasn't the place to take it up (besides H was watching telly with me)

Should I bother watching it on catch up if it's available, or can you give us a potted version?

I almost turned it off at 22 minutes when she said she was pregnant again, but I held out!

I want everyone who posted in the 'Baby P' to watch it though. Especially those who criticized the system.

It was a thought-provoking programme, very sad to watch. Just an incredibly sad situation. I think the mum did an extremely selfless thing, giving her kids up in the end, my heart went out to her. A shame she couldn't have realised that having the kids in the first place with that dad wasn't perhaps the most sensible of things, but her own background probably didn't put her in the best position to make that kind of choice. Seems like sadly, they might find it hard to find adopters for the little lad.

It was shocking. I had to go upstairs and hug my sleeping kids. I have since heard that it was the social workers first case. A few years ago my missus was thinking of changing her degree and training for social work. She is so glad she never.

As ash says, if you were wound up by the baby P case, watch this..

My sister is a social worker and does exactly this job in Rotherham. I never knew exactly what it was she did before because she's not allowed to disclose details, but after this I was filled with so much pride for her knowing that she does this tirelessly on a daily basis.

It takes a certain type of person to look past the pity and the abuse and be pro-active and get on with the job, which is trying to protect these kids and give them a better future. I know I couldn't do it, I'd be filled with rage and anger at the parents or abusers, and with pity for the kids...and in the end these feelings help no-one, even less the kids, and are completely counter-productive.

Well done Sis :thumbsup:

Such a challenging job, the title of the programme summed it up.

It's got me wondering if the softly-softly approach they seem to use actually does anyone any good? Whilst it's important to treat people with respect wouldn't it be better to be more straight up with people?

When that professional was assessing the way the dad interacted with the little lad, he really dressed up his conclusions into a "well, there were really good things and some not so good things", when actually from what we saw it was pretty dismal.

Does this go on throughout the whole process? Wouldn't it be better just to tell things as they are?

Although I agree that the SWs have a hard task looking at this programme their sole aim was getting the children off this couple and 'proving' they were failures. I didn't actually see the SS get anyone.in to sort the house out.for the couple.or to actually.help the couple with parenting. Where were the parenting classes? It is far easier taking children off people than actually helping them. I would.have much rather they.have given the couple some practical help than just immediately think of putting the children in care. I am convinced with the right help especially when she had got rid of the waste of space father the mother could have been taught how to care for het children but.it.is much easier to put children into care and convince the parent they are doing it.in the interest of the child. Only time will tell what harm that the child suffers through going into care.

Archived