Drill repair needed

carebear

Yes well done po999. Incidentally, I suppose you know why I laboured my description of how to do the job? Yes, I didn't know how much you knew about working safely so I was very cautious about what I told you.

COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 27-04-2013 at 17:54 ----------

[/color]

????????????????? You what Mihal? What on earth do you mean?

Bonjon and got2bepink, thanks for the info. I still don't know the layout ref where is the clutch in the power train. Any more ideas? And if your drill had been fitted with the other type of hammering Bonjon, do you think that axial vibrations (hammering) would have been transmitted via the clutch? I can't see how but some battery hammer drills do have torque limiting plus this other kind of hammering (not via a piston). I'll try asking Magna. I don't suppose you know their e mail address?

OK, now I know the answer. The torque limiter is the same unit as the hammer plates, only with hammering one of the plates is stationary. The pressure between the plates controls the allowable torque before they slip. With hammering the two plates bump past each other and make the clutch shaft go in and out. Hammering doesn't have to go through the clutch because in a sense it IS the clutch.

Does anyone on this posting know about this:-

Just behind the chuck on my battery hammer drill is the clutch/hammer mechanism which is altered by a hand ring for different torque limits. When the ring is turned clockwise it pushes a 10 mm long radial lever which works a radial cam. Apart from pushing the chuck forward against a light spring, the cam must do something inside the clutch. I expect it changes the spring pressure acting between the hammer/clutch plates but when the ring comes to the hammering position it must somehow brake one of the hammer plates to stop it moving. I can't se how it does. The fault with this drill is that the lever gets stuck so I sometimes can't change the torque setting or get off hammering. I tried greasing the cam and the chuck shaft but to no use. The gearbox is epicyclic with six planetary gears and two sun gears, one behind the other on the power train.

Have you had this problem and what did you do to cure it?[

Yes well done po999.

Incidentally, I suppose you know why I laboured my description of how to do the job? Yes, I didn't know how much you knew about working safely so I was very cautious about what I told you.

What you said gave me the confidence to tackle the job for myself,

otherwise I wouldn't have bothered and I would have just pushed the

old drill to one side.

Thanx once again !

Archived