Car smells of cigarettes, any suggestions?

Steam clean the upholstery really deeply (head lining as well as the seats and carpet) and then soak the whole lot in a dilute solution of Safe4 Odour Killer, then leave somewhere well ventilated for it all to dry.

I'd hazard a guess that the smell is in the padding behind the roof lining and inside the seats, rather than just the facing fabric. Anything which just treats the outside layer won't get the smell.

Then you'll need to address the air conditioning system- the cabin filters in most cars will pick up and hold every odour that's ever been in your car, so they need a clean and then your air con will need regassing.

However, you do have to bear in mind that plastics, especially the soft and squidgy ones used in cars are seriously good at picking up and holding on to smells, so it is perfectly possible that the smell is inside the plastics of your dash board and car interior, which means that you may never get rid of it. You can guarantee to make it better, but you can't guarantee to eradicate it.

You could try an car air con deodorizer- windows up, blowers on recirculate, set the spray can going and leave for 15 mins- although I tried one to rid my air con of a foul smell and it didnt work! Hope this helps!

PS If anybody knows how to rid my air con of a smelly feet smell please let me know.

The smell in the air con is bacterial and fungal, so it could smell of feet because the cabin filters have picked up (and provided a really good damp growing medium for) some of the fungi and bacteria that you carry round on your own feet.

All air con that's older than about a year is a breeding ground to hundreds of types of bacteria and fungi which is why everybody should (according to various microbiologists) have their air con filters and gas completely changed every year.

Hi, I bought a car the other week and it absolutely stinks of cigarettes, I've tried air freshners, neutradol, febreze and also had it valeted today but still smells the same, any suggestions before I pour a big bottle of jeyes fluid inside? Only joking of course:thumbsup:

Leave it parked overnight in town, and buy another with the insurance money.

I recommend activated charcoal (aka activated carbon); it absorbs really tough odors. I used it, with great success, in a refrigerator that had been stored in a garage. In the US, you can buy it at hardware stores and home and garden centers. Good luck.

How about a weak solution of disinfectant, wiped on all the interior plastic? Is it possible you could put it into a garage, and leave the car windows open overnight?

A peeled onion left in the car overnight might do it too - they say onions absorb paint smells when decorating - it's worth a try, though your car may then smell of onions (better smell than cigarettes in my opinion):hihi:

The smell in the air con is bacterial and fungal, so it could smell of feet because the cabin filters have picked up (and provided a really good damp growing medium for) some of the fungi and bacteria that you carry round on your own feet.

All air con that's older than about a year is a breeding ground to hundreds of types of bacteria and fungi which is why everybody should (according to various microbiologists) have their air con filters and gas completely changed every year.

£40 to £60 at most places I have seen Medusa, it's a small price to pay each year to keep the bug's at bay.

Genuine question...why would regassing do any good? The gas never comes into contact with the air that's blown into the car..in much the same way that the gas in your fridge never comes into contact with the food you have in there..

Archived