Wheres the best Chinese restaurant in Sheffield?

natstall

Does anyone go to Candytown on London Road these days? Used to go years ago and loved their crispy duck, but have stayed away from Chinese food recently after overdoing it on a trip to China.

Bill

I went late last year; it's the same as always, with the traditional selection of familiar cantonese dishes (chili beef, sweet and sour pork, chicken with cashews, crispy duck, etc). Alright for what it is, and great service, but the food is not exciting.

Tried Noodle Doodle on Trippet Lane today. We had chilli shredded chicken (nice, could have been a little spicier), satay kebabs (ditto), chum soi with lots of garlic (very nice) and Peking pork with pancakes. The latter was a little rich but very nice, be good to share round a larger table. Very nice chinese tea. The service was good and friendly. Place itself recently repainted and is very clean though you can see where they painted over stuff that could have been replaced. I suspect they were on a budget.

They have north eastern chinese, peking, szechuan and malaysian dishes. I plan to go back when I'm next in town and try some more. One tip - when you go in try to get a table on the right as we got a cold draft on the left side when the door opened.

I went late last year; it's the same as always, with the traditional selection of familiar cantonese dishes (chili beef, sweet and sour pork, chicken with cashews, crispy duck, etc). Alright for what it is, and great service, but the food is not exciting.

I still like CandyTown. It had a period about a year/18 months ago, when I thought it was going downhill badly. I stopped going for a while but on the last visit a few weeks ago it was back up to standard.

They offer a big range of dishes, the crispy duck is particularly good, and it isn't expensive. I also like the fact they do big bottles of sake.

I still like CandyTown. It had a period about a year/18 months ago, when I thought it was going downhill badly. I stopped going for a while but on the last visit a few weeks ago it was back up to standard.

They offer a big range of dishes, the crispy duck is particularly good, and it isn't expensive. I also like the fact they do big bottles of sake.

That may have been around the time they shut down after getting 0/5 in the food hygiene rating..

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/local/mice-and-cockroach-infestations-close-six-sheffield-businesses-in-12-months-1-7050935

Hue Wei is the best IMO if you like scrummy fresh Chinese food that isn't all about fake gloopy sauces but it's all down to personal preference. If all you ever order is sweet and sour chicken nuggets it probably doesn't matter where you go

• 1 year later...

What's Zing Vaa like these days?

On the history bit of the forum it says it's been going since 1957, so it must be Sheffield's longest-established Chinese restaurant that is still going. It's still there so it must be doing something right I would think. Though that logic falls down when you see places like Balti King still open.

Zing Vaa is very good in my opinion - we have eaten there a few times recently and really enjoyed it. The service was good despite being busy every time, and the dim sum selection was really wide, with quite a lot of things you don't find at your standard cantonese restaurant.