Bottles of wine and your "five a day"

The important thing with the five a day thing is that it should be 5 different fruits and vegetables, so wine (assuming it could be taken as one of your 5 a day and I don't think this is true!) could only ever be taken as one of your 5 a day.

As one of the 5 a day I assume that one would take it as fruit juice, of which the standard serving is a normal glassful. Disappointing, I know, but one glass is probably the best answer you're going to get.

I wonder what the scientific basis for saying that it should be 5 different fruit/veg every day is...

I suspect that much like the guidelines on alcohol, there is no science involved.

I wonder what the scientific basis for saying that it should be 5 different fruit/veg every day is...

I suspect that much like the guidelines on alcohol, there is no science involved.

I think you maybe right about the scientific evidence as there seems to be none, and IIRC the 5 a day thing has already been discredited and makes no difference to health.

It was the specific quantity and the recommendation that they be 5 different ones every day that seems suspect to me.

I doubt that it would be any less healthy to eat 5 * single type a day, but 7 * different types a week.

It's another figure plucked out of the air like the safe alcohol limit (IMO) and there's plenty of other data to show that if you're going to have a recommendation at all it should be set at a minimum of 8.

I think that the aim with saying that they should all be different is to reduce the risk of people just eating the same thing all the time and therefore only getting the nutrients in that particular- but I'm not sure that there's any way that you could quantify exactly how much difference there is in value between 400g of oranges and 100g each of oranges, carrots, spinach and sprouted seeds (for instance).

Archived