History of Bands Playing City Hall Anyone?

Thanks for your reply Jim, Wow! 25 pence to see Dylan. Sometimes I wished I'd been born a few years earlier. I was born in 1955, so a bit earlier I could have seen Dylan, Hendrix and...... The Beatles. All the best and take care. - Pete

Just spoken to my mate who was with me. He says it was 7/6d and I think he's probably right! Still a bargain. :)

I saw Peter Gabriel twice there amongst many others, the second one was a stunner. Can anyone remember the resident photographer there who you could buy prints from after the gig, a really nice bloke, I think his name was Jan Komensky?

Those I went to

Greenslade (my first big gig) (Time & Tide Tour, all seats £1)

Black Sabbath (supported by Van Halen one time)

Hawkwind (many times.. Bob Calvert was immense!)

Motorhead (many times - always the classic line up)

Judas Priest

Steve Hillage (brilliantly hippyfied)

Thin Lizzy (with Gary Moore, Black Rose tour)

Jon Anderson & New Life Band

Rick Wakeman & ERE

Journey (went to see support Pat Travers and left after 1 song of Journey)

Mike Oldfield

Leo Sayer (yes I know.. with a GF.. but actually his first 2 or 3 albums are decent)

Gordon Giltrap

Rory Gallagher (very long set every time)

Gary Moore Solo

Blue Oyster Cult

Status Quo (after kipping outside all night for tickets)

Blizzard of Ozz (Randy Rhoads.. wow)

Scorpions

UFO (with and without Schenker)

Various other supports I recall

Stray

Stretch

Japan

Bethnal

Tiger

Those I recall my mates went to but I didn't

Roxy Music

Uriah Heep

Budgie

Anyone seen Wally?

Richard

Edited by Vasquez Rich

Def Leppard,Girlschool ,Saxon,Motorhead,Judas Priest,Ted Nugent,Manowar,Metallica,Anthrax,Gillan,Thin Lizzy,Blue Oyster Cult,Meatloaf,Ozzy Osbourne 'Marillion,Rory Galagher,Whitesnake,AC/DC,Iron Maiden,UFO,Magnum,Uli Jon Roth,The Smiths ,The Stranglers,Sade ,Feargal Sharkey,The Thompson Twins,Depeche Mode,Culture Club,The Pixies ,Morrissey,Eels,Richard Hawley,Billy Bragg off the top of my head.Worst Sade ,Best The Smiths ,Metallica and Pixies.

Edited by mediumfast
'

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the "Sensational" Alex Harvey band a couple of times ( top of the bill , not supporting ) , Quo , Faces, Harvey Andrews , Roxy Music , Brian Ferry (solo) , now my dementia has kicked in and my mind has gone blank , thats Rock and Roll .

Best gig I ever went to was Spyrogyra around 79/80, when they had 'Morning Dance' in the charts. Also saw Camel, Wishbone Ash & Tangerine Dream there but less memorable cos I've seen 'em lots of times at various venues. Camel are probably my favourite band ever!

this has brought back some memories , the first band i saw was Family . Some of the supports were quite memorable

The excellent EGG who supported the Groundhogs , Keth Christmas who allways seem to support Ten Years After, Ashton Gardner and Dyke who got a rough ride as opener for Deep purple .Who can forget Principal Edwards Magic Theatre who opened for Sha Na Na , (i can) Roger Ruskin Spear completely bonkers opened for King Crimson

The Pink Faries and Edgar Broughton were on the same set , Broughton arrived late and was his usual Beligerant self

saw A few bands at the university , Roxy Music , Head hands & feet , Babe Ruth, Uriah Heep

anyone go to the festival at the top of Buxton Moor , freezing in the middle of summer , Wizard , curved air ,Steppenwolf are about all i can remember

Best gig I ever went to was Spyrogyra around 79/80, when they had 'Morning Dance' in the charts. Also saw Camel, Wishbone Ash & Tangerine Dream there but less memorable cos I've seen 'em lots of times at various venues. Camel are probably my favourite band ever!

Which Camel? Weren't there two bands, one fronted by Peter Frampton, the other by Pete Bardon, I saw the latter a couple of times at the City Hall.

---------- Post added 24-07-2014 at 13:22 ----------

Pete Frampton's Camel was an album, not a band. (Wonderful thing Wikipedia)