Children playing football smash a window - suitable punishment for them?

I don't see what's so unfair about making them mow your lawn. Provided you don't have 40 acres and the kids are old enough to do so safely.

On a very windy day, our neighbor's teenage son had his grease laden oil drip pan that usually sat under his pos Jeep Cherokee come flying onto our driveway and of course land oily side down. It made a godawful mess that took my husband an hour to clean up with a rag and gasoline. Even after putting kitty litter down, you could still see it somewhat.

He never came over to admit culpability let alone actually apologizing. When confronted, his parents had every excuse in the book and apparently, apologizing was a foreign concept to them too. I feel the same, it was an accident. What was maddening was the little creep pretending like it never happened.

Unfortunately, the parents may or may not agree about how this should be handled. If they refuse to allow their kids to work it off, there's not much you can do. They should pay for the glass, though.

Hmmmm.....merely pier group pressure. Look beyond and above it.:)

Blackpool or Wigan? ;)

Chem1st - I'd speak to the parents first. You never know, they could do the honourable thing and offer to have the window replaced or at least pay for it. If they are decent parents, they might even make their child offer a sincere apology. :o

No, if you really want to punish them, get them a leather bound copy of all your posts to do with housing. And make them read every one.

That'll learn em.

teach

They might learn something about housing though.

Sorry, I don't usually play grammar games, but this one does my head.

Blame my mother :|

Surely Chem1st could repair the window for a few pennies?

After all, he's forever telling us how little it would cost to build affordable housing. If you can build a house for a few quid, how much could it cost to replace one pane of glass?

Aye, next to nothing, it'll cost more having to travel to do it!

Blackpool or Wigan? ;)

Chem1st - I'd speak to the parents first. You never know, they could do the honourable thing and offer to have the window replaced or at least pay for it. If they are decent parents, they might even make their child offer a sincere apology. :o

Hmmm....Don't the spelling police get a day off on Wednesday?:roll:

Granted. It's not the window being smashed that bothers me though. It's the running off without owning up/apologising.
But that's what kids do. Instinct tells them to scarper and quick 'cause they will be in bother!

I did the same as a kid, and of course was seen and Dad found out.

Dad replaced the window.

I got a spanking......not for breaking the window...but for saying "it weren't me Dad".

I don't see as any punishment is necessary as long as the kid owns up when the parents find out.

Archived