Melting gold and re using it.

Long story short. I lost my mum 6 weeks ago and it was my 40th B day last week. I know my mum would have bought me some jewellery. I have a gold necklace she bought me for my 18th Birthday. Do you think anyone can melt it down and make a ring out of it for me. If so how much do you think it would cost???? It would mean a lot to to me to have something made from something my Mum gave me. I never wear necklaces now, and I cant for work anyway.

It's illegal to melt it down and reuse it without submitting it to the assay office for a hallmark, even if it was your gold to start off with and therefore it's not being sold (or so I was told by someone who works in fine jewellery when I asked a similar question).

As for someone to do the work for you, there's someone who works upstairs in Orchard Square who does bespoke pieces and when I had a bespoke pendant made a few years ago through PA on Commonside I supplied the irregular stone and someone who either worked in their back room or who does self employed stuff for them did the work for me.

Long story short. I lost my mum 6 weeks ago and it was my 40th B day last week. I know my mum would have bought me some jewellery. I have a gold necklace she bought me for my 18th Birthday. Do you think anyone can melt it down and make a ring out of it for me. If so how much do you think it would cost???? It would mean a lot to to me to have something made from something my Mum gave me. I never wear necklaces now, and I cant for work anyway.

This might be what you are looking for.

http://www.celtarts.com/LegacyGold.html

Celtic design is about tradition and heritage. What better way to add meaning to your jewelry than to make it out of precious materials that already have a legacy in your family? The craftsmen at Walker Metalsmiths can remount gemstones that have outlasted their settings, but we can also take the gold from those settings or other gold jewelry and use it when we cast your new special order jewelry.

Why should grandma’s wedding ring just sit in a box for decade after decade until nobody can even remember whose it was? It means too much to your family to just sell it for scrap. So why not make this keepsake into a ring for a new generation to wear and to treasure? Nobody is ever going to wear those gold cuff links with the company logo that they awarded great-grandpa all those years ago. Wouldn’t it mean much more to him if they were fashioned into something new for his descendants? Especially if that something new expressed the heritage that he was so proud of?

This might be what you are looking for.

http://www.celtarts.com/LegacyGold.html

Celtic design is about tradition and heritage. What better way to add meaning to your jewelry than to make it out of precious materials that already have a legacy in your family? The craftsmen at Walker Metalsmiths can remount gemstones that have outlasted their settings, but we can also take the gold from those settings or other gold jewelry and use it when we cast your new special order jewelry.

Why should grandma’s wedding ring just sit in a box for decade after decade until nobody can even remember whose it was? It means too much to your family to just sell it for scrap. So why not make this keepsake into a ring for a new generation to wear and to treasure? Nobody is ever going to wear those gold cuff links with the company logo that they awarded great-grandpa all those years ago. Wouldn’t it mean much more to him if they were fashioned into something new for his descendants? Especially if that something new expressed the heritage that he was so proud of?

Thank you for that. they are in the USA though so I will look into finding a uk company. Or if not may use them.

I know it sounds daft but it really means a lot to me to have something from Mum for my 40 th Bday. I know she would have wanted to get me something to keep. I have her wedding ring but she was much smaller than me and they would have to piece it and change the whole structure of the ring. I don't feel comfortable changing her wedding ring.

Take the necklace into a few local jewellers and see if they'll melt it down and do the work for you. I had three gold rings melted down and made into a new signet ring by my local jeweller. It's not illegal but they will need to get the gold hallmarked once the piece is finished.

Thank you again. Problem is I am not wanting to have a peice "re worked" I am wanting to use the gold from a chain, have it melted down, and remade as a ring.

From the quoted link

Re-using old metal

It is possible to melt down old gold and reuse it in a new engagement ring. The cost of reusing low carat gold can equal or exceed the price of buying new gold though, so this only really makes sense if there is a sentimental or ethical reason to do so or if you have a good quantity of higher carat gold. Alloy refining is a large scale process, so yellow gold cannot be re-refined to become white gold.

Archived