Our Representatives In Parliament.

I know, but I thought I would mention it, I’m not sure if a standing MP can change from independent to a party, maybe someone with a bit more knowledge will know.

I believe an MP can change from an Independent to a party and vice versa. But hey, lets get some Independents in power that listen to their electorates rather than their whips and then we can give judgement :)

the problem is that most independant candidates tend to be barmy folk who believe that the moon is made of green cheese and that everyone under the age of 25 should be flogged soundly at least once a day

Martin Bell doesn't sound like your description. Which MP's are you thinking of?

If my choice is one of the 3 parties or an Independent candidate whom have no allegiance to anyone but his/her electorate, i know where my cross is going. But.....ill find out as much about him/her first. :)

I believe an MP can change from an Independent to a party and vice versa. But hey, lets get some Independents in power that listen to their electorates rather than their whips and then we can give judgement :)

what makes you think that the independents will listen any more than non-independents?

That would be a problem then, because we wouldn't know if they are truly independent and may change to a party you don't like, and the government is formed from the biggest party, independents aren't a party so couldn't form a government, or could they?

what makes you think that the independents will listen any more than non-independents?

They wont have to follow the party whip....

Lets take Europe for example. Id suggest that over 75% of Sheffield want out of the current EEC and how our monies are being spent in it. But, when it came to asking us for a referendum, all the MPs (especially Labour) ensured we wouldnt get a referendum recently.

Ill bet my bottom dollar, your Independent MP wouldnt have done that. Thats the kind of vote your electorate remembers and chucks you out next time for.

Whats our alternative Andy? Vote one of the parties again......

That would be a problem then, because we wouldn't know if they are truly independent and may change to a party you don't like, and the government is formed from the biggest party, independents aren't a party so couldn't form a government, or could they?

The party with a majority forms a government.

They wont have to follow the party whip....

Lets take Europe for example. Id suggest that over 75% of Sheffield want out of the current EEC and how our monies are being spent in it. But, when it came to asking us for a referendum, all the MPs (especially Labour) ensured we wouldnt get a referendum recently.

Ill bet my bottom dollar, your Independent MP wouldnt have done that. Thats the kind of vote your electorate remembers and chucks you out next time for.

Whats our alternative Andy? Vote one of the parties again......

Vote for a party that wants out of Europe.

it's the man who can command the confidence of the House of Commons who gets to be Prime Minister and form a government. For obvious reasons, this tends to be the leader of the largest party, possibly with the treacherous third placed party tagged onto the end as human shields.

it would be tricky but not impossible for a large group of independents to have enough common interest to be able to form a governement, but then they would be a party in all but name. I suspect that it would also be a rather fragile government which would fall apart under any pressure.

Archived