Any other women embarrassed by this?

are you offended by cartoon of a woman in a bikini on a beer tap in mp bar  

132 members have voted

1. 1. are you offended by cartoon of a woman in a bikini on a beer tap in mp bar

• I am a man and think its offensive
    • I am a woman and think its offensive
    • I am a man and this isn't offensive
    • I am a woman and this isn't offensive

So you start a thread

Ask for peoples opinions on the subject

Then say people are getting upset about none issues?

The original post was about the fact that the mp was getting het up about a none issue-its bang on point:confused:

Actually lets get it right the mp was "disturbed" by the none issue:hihi:

Well thats wrong, she said she was "disturbed" by it.

Well, it is disturbing to walk into a bar in the seat of government to find such a sexist image used to promote beer. You are also falling into that trap of ascribing a whole range of characteristics associated with female hysteria to Green. You seem to infer from her stating that she was disturbed by it, she is suffering from kind of PTSD, when I suspect that she meant 'perturbed.'

Furthermore, not only are Green's appearance and mental state criticised, her job (Shadow Equalities Minister) is also described as a 'non' job and deemed as superfluous yet ironically, the misogynistic reactions to this incident alone highlights how there is still very much a need for a such a role:roll:

Which is why you get annoyed by none issues, in my opinion reinforcing the bad name of feminism.

Who are you to decide what is a 'none' (sic) issue? I refer you to my post on Broken Windows Theory. If you think that the objectification of woman is acceptable and has a place in the public domain, cartoon or otherwise, the I would argue that you are not even a 'a bit of a feminist'. :roll:

Well, it is disturbing to walk into a bar in the seat of government to find such a sexist image used to promote beer. You are also falling into that trap of ascribing a whole range of characteristics associated with female hysteria to Green. You seem to infer from her stating that she was disturbed by it, she is suffering from kind of PTSD, when I suspect that she meant 'perturbed.'

Furthermore, not only are Green's appearance and mental state criticised, her job (Shadow Equalities Minister) is also described as a 'non' job and deemed as superfluous yet ironically, the misogynistic reactions to this incident alone highlights how there is still very much a need for a such a role:roll:

Who are you to decide what is a 'none' (sic) issue? I refer you to my post on Broken Windows Theory. If you think that the objectification of woman is acceptable and has a place in the public domain, cartoon or otherwise, the I would argue that you are not even a 'a bit of a feminist'. :roll:

And this is the only "yes I find it offensive" I knew was coming:P

I think it is a none issue, as it seems do most people and like it or not I am allowed an opinion. I also totally think that things like this make a mockery of feminism. It should be about equal pay and equal rights not about pretending that there are no differences between men and women or that one sex doesn't tend to find the other sex attractive.

Who are you to decide I am not a feminist? Thats a bit arrogant don't you think?

If you are talking about windows then its a great theory, if you are talking about sexism you are missing the graffiti analogy. If you paint over their graffiti they will graffiti it again!

And this is the only "yes I find it offensive" I knew was coming:P

I think it is a none issue, as it seems do most people and like it or not I am allowed an opinion. I also totally think that things like this make a mockery of feminism. It should be about equal pay and equal rights not about pretending that there are no differences between men and women or that one sex doesn't tend to find the other sex attractive.

Who are you to decide I am not a feminist? Thats a bit arrogant don't you think?

If you are talking about windows then its a great theory, if you are talking about sexism you are missing the graffiti analogy. If you paint over their graffiti they will graffiti it again!

What has ignoring/denying gender differences and sexual attraction got to do with any of this?:huh:

If you don't paint over the graffiti in the first place, then it conveys the message that it is acceptable which has a dramatic impact on a whole variety of other issues. It would somewhat defeatist and dangerous to do that.

Don't be ridiculous Suffragette, not finding a cartoon image of a woman in a bikini offensive doesn't mean you are not a feminist, it just means you aren't looking for a reason to be offended.

I'd be equally unoffended by a cartoon image of a man in trunks, in fact, I'd be so laid back about them both that I'd be horizontal. It's a complete non issue.

What has ignoring/denying gender differences and sexual attraction got to do with any of this?:huh:

If you don't paint over the graffiti in the first place, then it conveys the message that it is acceptable which has a dramatic impact on a whole variety of other issues. It would somewhat defeatist and dangerous to do that.

I was just arguing with your window theory saying its a lot more complex than that. I wasn't seriously claiming that sexism is analgous to someone graffiting:hihi:

Its a cartoon of a clothed person and a name meaning that person is attractive. Where is the problem if you ignore the gender:confused:

Archived