Any other women embarrassed by this?

are you offended by cartoon of a woman in a bikini on a beer tap in mp bar  

132 members have voted

1. 1. are you offended by cartoon of a woman in a bikini on a beer tap in mp bar

• I am a man and think its offensive
    • I am a woman and think its offensive
    • I am a man and this isn't offensive
    • I am a woman and this isn't offensive

This debate has descended to into farce. llamatron, you can stretch a topic only so far, after which you start to make yourself look silly. That point has been reached and passed quite a while ago.

Compare the well reasoned, scholarly and informed posts from Jessica23, Suffragette1 and JenC with some of the other prejudiced and misogynist ramblings on this thread, and the determined trolling, and you can surely see what I mean. They've convinced me anyway.

If you're a woman, you're trying too hard to be one of the boys, and if you're a man - well, that explains it :)

This debate has descended to into farce. llamatron, you can stretch a topic only so far, after which you start to make yourself look silly. That point has been reached and passed quite a while ago.

Compare the well reasoned, scholarly and informed posts from Jessica23, Suffragette1 and JenC with some of the other prejudiced and misogynist ramblings on this thread, and the determined trolling, and you can surely see what I mean. They've convinced me anyway.

If you're a woman, you're trying too hard to be one of the boys, and if you're a man - well, that explains it :)

I believe there were two people forcing their views on everyone I was just disagreeing. I am a woman that is not trying to be one of the boys I am just not oversensitive, like most of the women voting on this thread. The two people I have been arguing with most have been trying to force their opinion on everyone else and dismissing our point of view as you just did. They have made me understand (not agree!-to prempt one of you suggesting that) why some blokes are so offensive to and dismissive of feminists.

I think you three have been very dismissive of the views of most females and quite offensive towards us!

Just because people disagree with you it does not follow that they are wrong. Just because you disagree with a point does not mean it is prejudiced or not "scholarly" enough. Show some empathy!

Strangers Bar is within the Houses of Parliament. It overlooks the commons chamber on one side and the Thames on the other, and has its name because people are only allowed in from outside with an invite from an MP.

Chris you're becoming quite anal...:hihi: Lighten up "man" and don't get in a tiss over it..

It depends what she is dressed for really doesn't it! I would not describe someone in a bikini as nearly naked unless she has showed up for work in an office or was walking down a street in snow. I am not nearly naked on the beach.

I suspect the mp that arranged for the beer to be sold there is scared of being labelled. I bet he doesn't understand why it could cause offence!

These enlightened feminists should be topless on the beach for true equality, either that or men should be wearing bikini tops:D

It's become like shooting rats in a barrel to you, aint it...:D

Bunnies are soft, and fluffy, and harmless. They are pets. This association can be seen as sexist because this draws an unfair distinction between men and women. It does this by exaggerating the idea that female sexuality is soft, fluffy and harmless - or passive and non-aggressive.

It's basically a caricature of a damaging stereotype about women. /

If you were asked to re-design the cartoon so that it portrayed female sexuality in a way that met your approval, would you describe what it might look like?

Boiler suit and doc martins...?

Its only a farce because you 4 and metro man don't quite get it. You don't get that the vast vast majority of the population of SF, and no doubt the country think you're deluded, And your back slapping patronizing of your buddies is a bit stomach wrenching..:gag:....:D

I will just add that if I am "trying too hard to be one of the boys" maybe its because I like hanging aound with people who are low maintenance and don't sweat the small things. Personally I think the idea that women aren't like that is more offensive than the beer tap!

I will just add that if I am "trying too hard to be one of the boys" maybe its because I like hanging aound with people who are low maintenance and don't sweat the small things. Personally I think the idea that women aren't like that is more offensive than the beer tap!

You're a real woman. The likes of Ruby just, plain and simple, have an issue with men. It oozes from every pore of her body...

I believe there were two people forcing their views on everyone I was just disagreeing. I am a woman that is not trying to be one of the boys I am just not oversensitive, like most of the women voting on this thread. The two people I have been arguing with most have been trying to force their opinion on everyone else and dismissing our point of view as you just did. They have made me understand (not agree!-to prempt one of you suggesting that) why some blokes are so offensive to and dismissive of feminists.

I think you three have been very dismissive of the views of most females and quite offensive towards us!

Just because people disagree with you it does not follow that they are wrong. Just because you disagree with a point does not mean it is prejudiced or not "scholarly" enough. Show some empathy!

Forcing views, where? You created this thread and asked for women's views, we gave them. As for being dismissive and offensive, quite the contrary, both myself and Jessica have been on the receiving end of insults and derogatory comments, dismissed as mad and ignorant and Jessica's commitment to feminism has been questioned on the basis of her not contributing to the Sharia debates. Scholarly or not, I have yet to be convinced by any reasoned and well thought through argument as to why this ale's branding is not sexist. It's been dismissed as trivial and deemed not sexist because of a few ads featuring men with bare torsos - end of. It is these so called 'trivial' (I prefer to call them small) issues that really insidious as they normalise and reinforce certain attitudes towards women and when questioned, engender the kind of response that is all too evident on this thread.

Forcing views, where? You created this thread and asked for women's views, we gave them. As for being dismissive and offensive, quite the contrary, both myself and Jessica have been on the receiving end of insults and derogatory comments, dismissed as mad and ignorant and Jessica's commitment to feminism has been questioned on the basis of her not contributing to the Sharia debates. Scholarly or not, I have yet to be convinced by any reasoned and well thought through argument as to why this ale's branding is not sexist. It's been dismissed as trivial and deemed not sexist because of a few ads featuring men with bare torsos - end of. It is these so called 'trivial' (I prefer to call them small) issues that really insidious as they normalise and reinforce certain attitudes towards women and when questioned, engender the kind of response that is all too evident on this thread.

yes you have been insulted by a small minority of the people commenting.

You need to understand that scholarly replies or not you haven't convinced me that is is sexist either.

Anyone else think this comment is sexist? Apparently to be a women I have to be offended by this cartoon?:confused:

yes you have been insulted by a small minority of the people commenting.

You need to understand that scholarly replies or not you haven't convinced me that is is sexist either.

I have at least presented reasoned arguments and supported my views with theories, rather than insulting anyone who disagrees with me. Some people on here haven't the first clue about how to conduct proper debate, all they do is throw insults around and make references to Doc Martens, boiler suits, women having issues with men and needing to 'get laid' which is SO hackneyed as well as proof of incredibly lazy thinking at best or at worst, very bad trolling.

Archived