Is 'Traveller' the new name for 'Gypsy'?

They are not Gypsies, who do not exist any more I think, but Tinkers from Ireland, sometimes known as the travelling people.

They are considered dubious in Ireland, as they are wherever they roam.

They make poor neighbours, even for a short time, as they lack any knowlege of social normality, due to their irresponsible life style and selfish behaviour.

I believe traveller was adopted as it described the life they lead. Though if it was going to truly describe the life they lead they should be called "Statics who like to intimidate and steal from the local community and curse those that challenge their behaviour". I can see travellers has a better ring to it.

its a far far lot harder to too since the introduction of the criminal justice act

So if they arnt going anywhere, let them stay.

Get jobs, like you have done, stop drawing the dole and start paying tax.

People may even begin to stop despising them if they did that.

And if, in a few years, they proved they could live among decent people, we may even show them some grudging respect.

But I very much doubt it.

They disgrace themselves wherever they turn up.

Decent civilised people will never accept them.

They are not Gypsies, who do not exist any more I think, but Tinkers from Ireland, sometimes known as the travelling people.

They are considered dubious in Ireland, as they are wherever they roam.

They make poor neighbours, even for a short time, as they lack any knowlege of social normality, due to their irresponsible life style and selfish behaviour.

Yes, otherwise known as de knackers!

Yes, otherwise known as de knackers!

Thats a new one to me, I have always nown them as tinkers, as in useless layabouts.

Hence the insult, 'he isnt worth a tinkers curse'.

That in itself coming from the days before they stole all the scrap metal.

They used to come to the house selling pegs, and if the housewife would not buy them, they cursed the house and all its occupants with early death and poverty.

They have always been people you love to have around you.

That is why the decent Irish people threw them out.

They are not allowed back in that country.

Thats a new one to me, I have always nown them as tinkers, as in useless layabouts.

Hence the insult, 'he isnt worth a tinkers curse'.

That in itself coming from the days before they stole all the scrap metal.

They used to come to the house selling pegs, and if the housewife would not buy them, they cursed the house and all its occupants with early death and poverty.

They have always been people you love to have around you.

That is why the decent Irish people threw them out.

They are not allowed back in that country.

Some of them are alright in Ireland, they sell decent carpets. Having said that they took steps to deal with the worst of the worst in the 60s and 70s which is why we ended up with the very, very worst here. Their latest wheeze in Ireland is going around stealing dogs for puppy farms/running puppy farms/stealing dogs and selling them on. Expect it over here soon.

It's particularly horrible as family pets are stolen and it causes an awful lot of pain, the animals are kept in horrific conditions breeding and any pets with the slightest deformity are 'got rid' of.

Archived