Science vs Religion

Ok in a nut shell I believe in God but not in all the story's, I can't think of any way else to explain it to you,

I've heard this view a number of times, especially from Christians, but I still don't understand how you choose which stories you believe. What are the criteria used?

That still doesn't answer it, I'm just asking WHY you believe.

I am a christian ,I have always been a christian, I was brought up as christian,

its my life, its my belief.

do you think there should be a reason, I don't think I need a reason really.

I am a christian ,I have always been a christian, I was brought up as christian,

its my life, its my belief.

do you think there should be a reason, I don't think I need a reason really.

I was a Christian, I was brought up as a Christian. It was precisely because I thought there should be a reason, and I sought a reason, that I stopped being a Christian.

So yes, I do think there should be a reason, and that reason should be determined by yourself and not your parents.

I've heard this view a number of times, especially from Christians, but I still don't understand how you choose which stories you believe. What are the criteria used?

You could probably say cherry picking but there are some very sensible parts of the bible but stories of people living to be 500 years old and things like parting the waves and people turning into pillars of salt are a bit hard to believe for any rational thinking person,you have to remember that the bible was wrote in a completely diffident time that has no relevance to our times,you could not possibly follow everything in the bible now,

my favorite parts are Ecclesiastes Job and the Psalms they are still good reading, science can not make any differences to that kind of righting.

That still doesn't answer it, I'm just asking WHY you believe.

Yes he has answered it. He has stated that he believes,because he has chosen to accept that some of the teachings handed down to him he has accepted.He says he doesn't believe everything. He doesn't have to,because there is no rule that forces him to do so.

Belief comes in various forms according to each indvidual person.

Some have stronger faith then others.

Some may waver from time to time.

Some may lose their faith,or have it shaken if something terrible happens to them or others.

Most christians face and accept that these changes can occur through various stages of their lives,and none of them deal with them equally.They all experience things differently because we are all different.

I was a Christian, I was brought up as a Christian. It was precisely because I thought there should be a reason, and I sought a reason, that I stopped being a Christian.

So yes, I do think there should be a reason, and that reason should be determined by yourself and not your parents.

that's why we live in a free country to make our own mind up as to what we believe or not believe,I have no problem with believers or non believers at all I would not dream of trying to push my belief on anyone, I have no time for religious bigots and maniacs,my belief is my private belief and I don't want to upset anyone who has a different view to mine.

Yes he has answered it. He has stated that he believes,because he has chosen to accept that some of the teachings handed down to him he has accepted.He says he doesn't believe everything. He doesn't have to,because there is no rule that forces him to do so.

Belief comes in various forms according to each indvidual person.

Some have stronger faith then others.

Some may waver from time to time.

Some may lose their faith,or have it shaken if something terrible happens to them or others.

Most christians face and accept that these changes can occur through various stages of their lives,and none of them deal with them equally.They all experience things differently because we are all different.

Yes thank you very well put, I was trying to explain in the best way I could but belief is in your heart and sole and you can not always explain as clearly as some people mite understand.

that's why we live in a free country to make our own mind up as to what we believe or not believe,I have no problem with believers or non believers at all I would not dream of trying to push my belief on anyone, I have no time for religious bigots and maniacs,my belief is my private belief and I don't want to upset anyone who has a different view to mine.

I'm sorry, but your post definitely gave me the impression that you had not actually made up your own mind. To do that requires a reason, and you said you don't need a reason, hence my reply.

If the reason is simply "I want to because I want to" then fine, but it's still a reason.

I'm sorry, but your post definitely gave me the impression that you had not actually made up your own mind. To do that requires a reason, and you said you don't need a reason, hence my reply.

If the reason is simply "I want to because I want to" then fine, but it's still a reason.

I've never had a reason I've never thought of it that way like I say I don't need a reason I am a believer and that is that, my parents mite have had a big influence on me that may be true,but I can still think for myself.

Yes thank you very well put, I was trying to explain in the best way I could but belief is in your heart and sole and you can not always explain as clearly as some people mite understand.

I think you have explained it very well Tom...apart from the SOUL! and MIGHT! part.

Just being a bit mischievous now! ..not very christian of me is it.:hihi:

Archived