Science vs Religion

I don't think he has answered it. To say I believe in god, isn't saying why I believe in a god. To explain why, I think he'd have to know what god actually is - and what leads him to believe he's actually believing in an existent god and not some invention of his - and other peoples - imagination. What's the difference between his god and an imaginary one?

I might accept some of the teachings handed down from Christianity, folklore, superstition, and other fiction. Accepting some of the teachings or meaning behind stories, doesn't mean I believe the protagonists featured are, or were, real. Neither does it mean I believe the events depicted are, or were, real events. Accepting some of the teachings or stories doesn't make me a Christian, a Jedi Knight, or a member of Starship Command.

So, why does he believe?

Now we are off topic again,because the subject has returned to science,but the OP was going to facilitate the thread and not participate,so i will see if i can get away with a quick reply in between all the heavy stuff.

I don't know why he believes,I can't answer for him.I understood his replies and others viewing the thread may have.Not everyone has the same insight.

I could explain to you why i chose to accept the beliefs of christianity,but it would require my mentioning books i had read in the past,and things i had listened to. I don't think you would wish to hear those details.

Referring to the teachings of stories though I'm not familiar with Starship Command and Jedi Knight so i can't give you an informed opinion on that theme. I am familiar with the story of Jesus though, and i'm sold on that story.I can't prove it is true of course, no more then you can prove it isn't?

So i only base my belief on that evidence.Its the path i've chosen.If you wish to perceive it as ignorance then thats your choice.

I don't know why he believes,I can't answer for him.

Well, IMO, you pretty much were trying to answer for him.

I could explain to you why i chose to accept the beliefs of christianity, but it would require my mentioning books i had read in the past,and things i had listened to. I don't think you would wish to hear those details.

I'm sure you could - and, considering there are countless conflicting beliefs amongst Christians, I'm sure it would be an interesting read.

I've also read many books on the subject - all of which would, amongst intellectually-honest readers, cast doubt on the veracity of the Christian fables. I could mention those books, but I'm sure you also wouldn't want to read those details.

I've also read many books on the subject - all of which would, amongst intellectually-honest readers, cast doubt on the veracity of the Christian fables. I could mention those books, but I'm sure you also wouldn't want to read those details.

No I wouldn't because you read the wrong books. :hihi::thumbsup:

What does Einstein have to say on this? (in the article I linked to above? http://www.sacred-texts.com/aor/einstein/einsci.htm)

"For the scientific method can teach us nothing else beyond how facts are related to, and conditioned by, each other.

The aspiration toward such objective knowledge belongs to the highest of which man is capabIe, and you will certainly not suspect me of wishing to belittle the achievements and the heroic efforts of man in this sphere.

Yet it is equally clear that knowledge of what is does not open the door directly to what should be. One can have the clearest and most complete knowledge of what is, and yet not be able to deduct from that what should be the goal of our human aspirations.

Objective knowledge provides us with powerful instruments for the achievements of certain ends, but the ultimate goal itself and the longing to reach it must come from another source. And it is hardly necessary to argue for the view that our existence and our activity acquire meaning only by the setting up of such a goal and of corresponding values.

The knowledge of truth as such is wonderful, but it is so little capable of acting as a guide that it cannot prove even the justification and the value of the aspiration toward that very knowledge of truth.

Here we face, therefore, the limits of the purely rational conception of our existence."

:huh:Would you like to translate Einstein's words into something use mere mortals can understand?:)

Archived