Science vs Religion

So although I'm an aetheist with a scientific background, I have more in common with those who see life as more than a rational pursuit. I have more in common with those who preach and practice caring for others. And if you know of a scientific, aetheist, humanist organisation whose doors are open this weekend that I could introduce a 14 year old lad to, who will help him when my assignment ends, then please let me know - use PM if you wish.

I don't know of any charity, religious or not, that could fit your very narrow requirements exactly but here are a few secular/humanist friendly ones.

http://www.humanism.org.uk/humanism/humanism-today/humanists-doing/charities

And if you FlamingJimmy,or anyone would like to discuss this over a pint sometime, I'd be happy to do so. Again PM me if the prospect of real life is not too scary. I promise that I'm not nearly so bold or antagonistic face to face, if anything I have an excess of respect.

Peace and love brothers and sisters.

FairDooz to all ...

Love to meet up sometime, if only to find out where this negativity of atheists comes from.

Love to meet up sometime, if only to find out where this negativity of atheists comes from.

:D I'm not negative towards aetheists. Or at least don't intend to be. I am one.

I'm sure you'd agree though, simply being without something is not that fulfilling. What I am against is a scientists who gloat over their successes over religion and fail to see any benefits within organisations that preach about and care for the welfare of others.

And no I won't defend all religions or any specific religion as a complete entity. Every organisation has its faults. It doesn't mean that we can't learn something from them.

Meet up? Do SF meetups still happen? And would this kind of discussion be banned at them?

:D I'm not negative towards aetheists. Or at least don't intend to be. I am one.

I'm sure you'd agree though, simply being without something is not that fulfilling. What I am against is a scientists who gloat over their successes over religion and fail to see any benefits within organisations that preach about and care for the welfare of others.

On the contrary. Letting go of something that is important to you in some way can be extremely uplifting and liberating. When you suddenly realise that you are an individual entity with nobody pulling your strings/playing with your mind, you become free to access all the possibilities that the world out there holds for you.

Meet up? Do SF meetups still happen? And would this kind of discussion be banned at them?

Not sure if they still meet but I'm sure you can talk about anything you wish in a free country as long as somebody is interested in discussing it with you. Please PM me if you're interested in meeting at a place of your choice.:)

PS thanks for the link, but I don't see anything about an organistion with open doors in Sheffield, unlike, dare I say it, many churches.

That's because we have a state religion that's funded by the tax payer and part of their 'remit' is to provide a place of 'sanctuary' for those in need. It's more of a 'happy accident' than anything else but also provides an easily accessible audience leading to an opportunity to preach and proseltyse.

besides not having the time I'm sure it would bore the pants off the majority.

OK ... let me back track a little and re-iterate what I've said from the beginning. I'm an aetheist, but let me make a confession(?). I have perhaps been defending religion from an idealistic viewpoint. That's because I'm searching for something beyond a literal, scientific, aetheistic, cold, heartless, soulless experience of the world.[/Quote]

Why bother? Life is absurd and meaningless.

...That's because I'm searching for something beyond a literal, scientific, aetheistic, cold, heartless, soulless experience of the world.

Yet another insulting religiously inspired myth about atheists. Yep! Us non-believers, being atheist, are a cold, heartless bunch. It's the reason why we don't protest when people are being harmed by religious, superstitious, political & pseudo-scientific bull****. Being atheist, we never donate to charities like Doctors without Borders, or help improve peoples lives through the likes of Kiva. We never volunteer or organise charitable events, we can't, because we live in a cold, heartless and atheistic world. Yes, we atheists are dead - our material bodies don't function; they don't produce the material chemicals necessary for emotion. We are robots.

Fairdooz, stop pushing the black & white religious apologetic bull****. Atheists are just as caring and giving, sometimes more so, than the religious who push the crap you're parroting.

On the contrary. Letting go of something that is important to you in some way can be extremely uplifting and liberating. When you suddenly realise that you are an individual entity with nobody pulling your strings/playing with your mind, you become free to access all the possibilities that the world out there holds for you.

Ahhh ... I think I got there a long time ago.

Now, I'm interested in connecting, building, believing in something (other than a father like God creator). I'm not looking for easy answers or constraints.

As I remember it, self-determination is based on 3 things -

Autonomy - the ability to freely make your own decisions

Connection - no man is an island. Our freedom depends on cooperating within communities. Others have fought for the freedoms we enjoy today.

Competence - having the skills to put our ideas into action. We cannot create a better future unless we apply ourselves within the real world.

Science has given the world amazing things, but it's not a community based discipline which focuses on everyday emotions and immediate human needs. I see that as a limitation and a reason for needing other organisations to fulfil those needs. Religions have attempted to do that with varying success.

Bottom line: Setting up Science in opposition to religion is not in everyone's best interests. We have to find ways of picking out the best in each and moving forward from where we are.

Fairdooz, stop pushing the black & white religious apologetic bull****. Atheists are just as caring and giving, sometimes more so, than the religious who push the crap you're parroting.

??? You're receiving me on a different wavelength from the one I'm transmitting on.

Archived