Science vs Religion

Like I said very early on in this thread though, I really can't be bothered with it, that's why I'm largely ignoring it. I liked Tom's questions to the atheists and there have been one or two interesting points but it seems that some people remain to be closed minded while trying to convince themselves of their own moral superiority, and I'm sorry to say it is largely the atheists.

Can you give some example quotes of this?

I don't think it's a case of anyone not understanding, your "belief of the New Testament" is not the cause, it's the effect. It's the cause that I am asking for. Also what do you think of the Old Testament ?

I can understand that your personal experiences are none of my business, but do you care to give one, to help me understand?

I'm having to show my ignorance again,because i don't know very much about the Old Testament to give a qualified answer.I expect some Christians would say the same,and others would be disgusted at my lack of knowledge! I don't much care what they would think though.

Some of the Psalms are lovely though,very poetic.

I did make an attempt at sharing a personal experience,but sorry i ended up deleting it. When i looked at it on the preview post page.I had second thoughts,it all looked quite inappropriate and would probably have caused me some embarrassment later.

I think it was God telling me to delete it.To stop me making a further fool of myself. :hihi:

I'm having to show my ignorance again,because i don't know very much about the Old Testament to give a qualified answer.I expect some Christians would say the same,and others would be disgusted at my lack of knowledge! I don't much care what they would think though.

Some of the Psalms are lovely though,very poetic.

I did make an attempt at sharing a personal experience,but sorry i ended up deleting it. When i looked at it on the preview post page.I had second thoughts,it all looked quite inappropriate and would probably have caused me some embarrassment later.

I think it was God telling me to delete it.To stop me making a further fool of myself. :hihi:

Fair enough :hihi:

Recently I found out that somebody I know is a practising Catholic, I asked him the same question.

To cut a long story short: I was quite surprised to hear that he chose Catholicism by method of elimination! He told me that out of all the religions it made the most sense to him and that he just couldn't bring himself to believe there isn't a creator. He said the thought of atheism was too lonely and scary for him.

I asked if he actually believed in God then, to which he admitted maybe he doesn't. He just doesn't like the thought of there being no God! We went on to discuss inspiration, art, music etc, which he thought must not be possible without God.

At least he's honest.

Recently I found out that somebody I know is a practising Catholic, I asked him the same question.

To cut a long story short: I was quite surprised to hear that he chose Catholicism by method of elimination! He told me that out of all the religions it made the most sense to him and that he just couldn't bring himself to believe there isn't a creator. He said the thought of atheism was too lonely and scary for him.

I asked if he actually believed in God then, to which he admitted maybe he doesn't. He just doesn't like the thought of there being no God! We went on to discuss inspiration, art, music etc, which he thought must not be possible without God.

At least he's honest.

Catholicism made the most sense to him, yet he didn't believe in God.

That was a contradiction in terms wasn't it?

I wonder if he just got a bit fed up with your probing questions, and thought to himself "i'll say i don't believe in God just to shut him up..anything for a quiet life" :hihi:

I know someone who is an "on and off" practicing Catholic so there's another contradiction. ;)

Archived