Science vs Religion

Your friend had a pretty "standard" path that lead him to religion. People who convert to a new religion often study all big religions then choose the one that gives them the most satisfactory answers. Faith always come with doubt.

It is not unusual for people to start believing because they cannot accept that there is no life after death for example. Religion gives a meaning to their lives.

Yes, I agree that some people may need religion, regardless of what they actually believe

Catholicism made the most sense to him, yet he didn't believe in God.

That was a contradiction in terms wasn't it?

He didn't actually SAY he didn't believe in God

I wonder if he just got a bit fed up with your probing questions, and thought to himself "i'll say i don't believe in God just to shut him up..anything for a quiet life" :hihi:

I know someone who is an "on and off" practicing Catholic so there's another contradiction. ;)

I only asked him the once, he was more interested in finding out that I have passion, inspiration and morality in my life without God.

He didn't actually SAY he didn't believe in God

I only asked him the once, he was more interested in finding out that I have passion, inspiration and morality in my life without God.

Yes, I know you can have morals,standards,values and all that is good without believing in God.:)

Some of the Psalms are lovely though,very poetic.

True. How about Psalm 137...

137:9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

A poem about smashing babies heads in. One of the less violent parts of the bible.

True. How about Psalm 137...

137:9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

A poem about smashing babies heads in. One of the less violent parts of the bible.

Where have you sprung from then? Are you a mate of someone whose been on here? You're a bit late for the debate their on another thread now.

Was that the Psalmist who wrote about the rivers of Babylon?

I was never a big fan of that Boney M song.

Where have you sprung from then?

"Join Date: Jun 2009

Total Posts: 1,023"

...would suggest that I haven't 'sprung' from anywhere.

Are you a mate of someone whose been on here?

I have met at least 3 Sheffield Forummers IRL, if that's what you mean, but we're not exactly bosom buddies.

You're a bit late for the debate their on another thread now.

Link, please?

Was that the Psalmist who wrote about the rivers of Babylon?

You've got the correct Psalm, but not too sure about the identity of the writer...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psalms#Authorship_and_ascriptions

I was never a big fan of that Boney M song.

There's hope for you yet!;):hihi:

Link, please?:

Its the thread about Atheism..your own lot.

Be prepared though,its more for the intellecually-inclined.

My friend Ryedo might be on there,if you want to be equally matched with him you will need to have done your home work,and make sure you've got all your links on the ready.

Archived