Science vs Religion

I'm still playing tomato sauce ketchup catch up. I'm only on page 3.

Well pop on there again,don't miss an opportunity to have a good scoff at the Christians.

Great platform for you on there..atheists only. You can have a great laugh on there poking fun at all the poor unfortunate Christians you like to mock!

Just be careful you don't criticise any other religions though.There might be repercussions then.

Well pop on there again,don't miss an oppertunity to have a good scoff at the Christians.

Great platform for you on there..atheists only. You can a great laugh on there poking fun at all the poor unfortunate Christians you like to mock!

Just be careful you don't criticise any other religions though.There might be repercusions then.

I haven't given that thread much attention, but I have read some of the posts and I haven't really seen any mocking.

• 7 months later...
What caused it to always exist? You haven't answered the question.

He said the universe is everything. Hence, whatever it was that caused the universe to exist, must itself be the universe. As, there is nothing that is not the universe.

A couple of questions though. Does a cause-effect relationship always apply universally? What is the nature of existing, and not-existing?

There are different ways in which the universe (through the medium of human beings) experiences itself. It can be rational, cognitive, reasoning, logical steps, mental. We also have a more emotional, intuitive, non-rational modality.

Why does one have to right, and the other wrong? Why is there so much conflict between rational, and non-rational?

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

"I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details."

"God is subtle but he is not malicious."

Albert Einstein.

Can't help but laugh when people post the above quotes. Einstein didn't even believe in a personal God - and only used the term as a poetic metaphor. He considered God belief a product of human weakness - and religion a childish superstition.

Chief Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks seeks common ground between religion and science and Professor Richard Dawkins says Amen to that ...

youtu . be/wiIaErxzGSE?t=10m10s (Sorry, I can't drop in a url as this is my first post having abandoned my previous alias some time ago).

I found this an incredibly refreshing conversation and couldn't stop myself coming back to share it with you ...

Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks: This is precisely what I think is the common ground between us, I don’t minimise the differences. The common ground between us is that you and I are committed to question, to the use of critical intelligence, to valuing human rights and the dignity of the human person, and you acknowledge that there have been times when science has been misused, but the answer to bad science is not no science, it’s good science. And I acknowledge that religion has sometime s been misused, but I argue that the answer to bad religion is good religion, not no religion, and so even though there is this gap between us, you are not religious and I am, and I’m not seeking to change you on this, could we not work together to value human rights, human dignity where we engage in the collaborative pursuit of truth?

Professor Richard Dawkins: Yes, it’s clear that we could. It’s clear that people of good will, wherever they’re coming from could and should work together. Science can be hideously misused, indeed if you want to do terrible things, you’d better use science to do it because that’s the most efficient way to do anything.

Sacks (voiceover): Religion and science have been set up as polar opposites, but it appears that Richard Dawkins and I might have found a way to work together.

Sacks: So, Richard, if I can sum up our conversation, despite clearly major differences between us, I think we’ve found major areas of agreement and commonality; a respect for truth openness, a willingness to question and the collaborative pursuit of knowledge for its own sake, and you’ve agreed that as we think our way through the very challenging problems of the 21st century, a conversation between us might give both of us both humility but might give both of us a fresh perspective. Now if we can actually agree to walk hand in hand towards the future on that basis, I think that’s a tremendous source for both optimism and hope.

Dawkins: I’ll go along with that. Amen to that.

Sacks: Thank you

Dawkins: Thank you very much.

Sacks (voiceover): I feel that we’ve made a real breakthrough. It’s the first time I’ve ever heard Richard be so open to my position on science and religion.

Sacks (to camera): Well, I think that was a bit of an epiphany. He met me more than half way. I actually felt something of the magic of the power of a conversation, when 2 people really open to one another, and that allows each of us to move beyond our normal positions and I really think that’s what happened

And if it is really so, and I believe it is, that we do have so much in common, then that is a very strong argument for saying that there can be a great partnership between religion and science.

youtu . be/wiIaErxzGSE?t=10m10s

Archived