Science vs Religion

Because he says you will get freedom if you follow his rules

I say you can have freedom without following any rules apart from knowing what's right and wrong

That is not demonstrating how he is misleading, that is giving your opinion of how to achieve freedom. I asked you to show us how he is misleading us.

By the way, Buddhist rules do not deal with right and wrong, they aren't moral rules, so knowing right from wrong is largely irrelevant to the Buddhist path.

Is it wrong to not believe in the lord almighty, based on what science may or may not have deemed the beginning of the earth? Does that outlook also conclude that because it is "written", it is gospel? Is it possible to completely refuse to accept that religion is nothing more than a "story" that has been read by too many people, therefore it must be true?

I see religion as an escape for those who cant cope without something to help them go on. A bit like like the placebo effect. Its not really there, but I feel better believing that it is.

No don't you see what I'm saying, he is promising you something that he can not guarantee himself ...[/Quote]

No he's not, he entered Nibbana himself - he can guarantee it (or could guarantee it)

you won't KNOW you gain that freedom until you die which then will be too late

That's wrong in two ways.

Nibbana isn't a state to be found after death, it can be achieved in life and even if you don't it doesn't automatically come with death.

But you don't need budda to do it, you can do it on your own

I'm not using Buddha to do it, he's dead.

I'm using his teachings.

Let's return to the map analogy.

I could get from here to Paris without a map, but it would be so much easier using one.

Likewise you can achieve Nibbana without the Buddhist teachings (the Buddha himself did), but it is far easier with them.

Archived