Science vs Religion

I'm not teaching anything.

I am however going to bed as this seems to have moved from a genuine interest into Buddhism into you arguing for the sake of arguing.

No buddas teachings are pointless, your using them

I'm debating, i have not insulted you once

Religions make an attempt to bring together a wider community, especially at the significant moments of our lives - marriages, births and deaths.

There are one or two people in Northern Ireland, the Middle East, etc. who disagree. They've certainly caused more death throughout history than anything else. Science makes planes fly; religion flies them into buildings.

Religion is better at dealing with emotions, values, codes of conduct, public ceremonies.

Blind assertion. Citation please. Also, better than what, exactly?

Nobody turns to a scientist for words of comfort when a child goes missing or a public servant gets killed in the line of duty.

If you're referring to the recent case of an American ambassador, it was religion that killed him in the first place.

The scientists are too busy examining forensic evidence for clues to have time for handringing.

Science might have answers as to why we've evolved in certain ways biologically and psychologically, but still can't tell us what to do with our free will (or illusion of free will).

"...tell us what to do with our free will..." Do you not see the irony in that oxymoronic statement? What value is free will, or the semblance thereof, if one is told what to do with it? A brief summary of christianity could be that god gives free will, but burns you in hell for all eternity if you exercise it.

Religion makes an attempt to guide us morally in our own interests and the interests of those we love and the wider community.

It's a pity they don't lead by example, then; paedophile priests, Magdalene Laundries, 'honour' killings, etc.

I'd love to share a story about behaviour that I've witnessed recently. Unfortunately I can't. People will get hurt emotionally. Religions generally consider the behaviour I'm talking about to be a sin. Scientists might explain that behaviour in an academic way, but don't condone or condemn.

I was asked to participate in that behaviour. I found a way to get myself out of it (It wasn't illegal, just immoral). It would have been easier if everybody knew I was a Christian, but I'm not. What I couldn't say is "sorry count me out I'm a scientist" and especially I couldn't say "count me out I'm an atheist" because for many people being an atheist gives you more of a green light to bend the rules, because after all, who's judging you?

I had one of them, but the wheels fell off.:loopy:

I'm not the first person to wish there was a God despite believing there's not.

...and you won't be the last. Your point?

"If God did not exist, one would have to invent him. I want my attorney, my tailor, my servants, even my wife to believe in God, and I think I shall then be robbed and cuckolded less often." Voltaire

I don't want to reinvent God, but I do think religions have much to contribute in how we should behave to make the world a better place.

..and I think they don't. What you assert without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

All I'm saying is that as the real world is proving to be infinitely strange and complex and anything seems possible - why not God?

Define "God" before anyone can answer that. Certainly, the god of the Abrahamic religions does not/cannot exist.

All I'm saying is that as the real world is proving to be infinitely strange and complex and anything seems possible - why not God? Is 'heaven' or the afterlife merely another dimension? -Another way of expressing a scientific phenomenon? When membranes cross is that when we think we see ghosts? Many religions talk about 'different planes of existence.' Do they know something the scientific world is only just catching up?

(My bold.)

No. They merely assert things without evidence.

Are we even meant to know? Just a thought...

I don't know how old you are (...and too gallant to ask a lady's age, anyhow...) but I'm guessing you didn't die in childbirth, nor of smallpox, nor any of the childhood diseases that were once prevalent. Scientists, not priests, found their cures. I wouldn't be reading your message, nor would you read my reply, typed into a computer and sent via the internet, were it not for a whole army of scientists.

"Are we even meant to know?" is probably the most meaningless/irrelevant question ever, unless you care to qualify it.

Archived