Bus and Tram and travel Snow Updates - Sat 4th - Tues 7th Feb

Why should IT staff be called in?

It's the job of the SYPTE duty staff to input the information on the website.

The IT support staff will already be on call for it if the system goes down.

The system was down, not merely out of date.

Presumably IT staff were indeed called in, because it came back up again; whether they should have been called in earlier, or should have fixed it quicker, I'm not remotely competent to judge even if I actually knew what the failure was, which I don't.

:huh: Post must be longer, so again, :huh:

I've never known wind be the problem; but, in my own hyperbolic way, I always say that three flakes of snow closes the Snake Pass and six closes the Woodhead.

If it's snowing at town-centre level I wouldn't even attempt either, unless it was a life-or-death matter.

With regards to the Travel South Yorkshire website down, I sent them a tweet this morning asking why they couldn't put a temporary page somewhere and update that. The reply I got was:

engineers are currently working on resuming some level service on the website.

Now engineers may well be looking at the website, but some sort of temporary page somewhere is better than no page at all. The main SYPTE website was and still is up and running, in fact that site on the home page tells you to go to the Travel South Yorkshire website for travel updates.

Obviously it wouldn't be ideal and not everyone would know to check the SYPTE website, but surely having some information out in the public domain is better than none at all. It's ok asking on twitter are xx buses running....but having to wait 25+ mins for an answer certainly isn't ideal.

Also interesting to note that other PTE websites didn't crash. The West Yorkshire Metro website was constantly updated with the latest information and still managed to stay online.

Another question also needs to be asked is was the bus companies informed that the site had crashed? If not then why not as they could have given up to date information on their websites

With regards to the Travel South Yorkshire website down, I sent them a tweet this morning asking why they couldn't put a temporary page somewhere and update that. The reply I got was:

engineers are currently working on resuming some level service on the website.

Now engineers may well be looking at the website, but some sort of temporary page somewhere is better than no page at all. The main SYPTE website was and still is up and running, in fact that site on the home page tells you to go to the Travel South Yorkshire website for travel updates.

Obviously it wouldn't be ideal and not everyone would know to check the SYPTE website, but surely having some information out in the public domain is better than none at all. It's ok asking on twitter are xx buses running....but having to wait 25+ mins for an answer certainly isn't ideal.

Also interesting to note that other PTE websites didn't crash. The West Yorkshire Metro website was constantly updated with the latest information and still managed to stay online.

Another question also needs to be asked is was the bus companies informed that the site had crashed? If not then why not as they could have given up to date information on their websites

The whole Travel South Yorkshire website was down, which suggested a problem with the hosting. The SYPTE site is a completely different website.

The service disruption information is updated by Travel Line staff whose technical level of training is to type stuff into a content management system. They aren't there to do techie stuff, they are there to provide travel information.

In the circumstances I think they were right to use all the resources they had to answer the phones and put news on Twitter rather than deal with complaints or mess about with broken websites.

Also of course if Travel Line had persuaded SYPTE to put a page on their website, how would the travelling public know to go that website?

Bus companies aren't geared up with a resource to update websites out of office hours - they pay Traveline to handle customer enquiries and service updates, although an exception was Supertram who doesn't have that resource either but a manager did still update the website to indicate a normal service was running in the snow.

Archived