Bad customer service in Sheffield.

Contro

My first job on leaving school was working as a shop assistant at John Lewis. They ingrain into you that customer service is paramount. It has always been part of their ethos and even though I think their standards are not what they were, they are still amongst the best in the high street.

I was extremely impressed with a young assistant in John Lewis, and with the service generally. I had taken too long to make up my mind and missed out on a large rug in the sales. She not only remembered what I had been looking at when I had been in the busy department several hours ago, but she also offered to track down the rug for me. The Milton Keynes store phoned me the same evening, and the rug arrived two days later, at the sales price, with no delivery charges. At GBP 62, this was not a high ticket item, so the margin for John Lewis must have been minimal. It was simply excellent customer service.

Archived