Nit-picking forummers: Is it required for lively debate?

The fundamentals of my original question was not those who critcise spelling or punctuation, but those who just pick up on perhaps one phrase or a few words in the original post and twist it somehow into something which was never meant.

Sometimes that's accidental, and just takes the thread off at a tangent from the direction the OP intended; which is perfectly fine on a discussion forum.

Sometimes, people do it to try and destroy a person's entire argument by deliberately misinterpreting one part of it, or by pouncing on a trivial mistake ("you said the Bay of Pigs was in 1961 but it was actually 1962, which proves that everything you said about Castro is wrong!") because they can't actually rebut your argument.

Sometimes it is just a case of genuine misunderstanding, with people objecting to what they think you meant. In which context, I'm reminded of a seminar which mentioned there being five different things that come out of any conversation, speech, or forum post:

1> What you said.

2> What you think you said.

3> What you actually meant.

4> What other people think you said.

5> What other people think you meant!

Sometimes that's accidental, and just takes the thread off at a tangent from the direction the OP intended; which is perfectly fine on a discussion forum.

Sometimes, people do it to try and destroy a person's entire argument by deliberately misinterpreting one part of it, or by pouncing on a trivial mistake ("you said the Bay of Pigs was in 1961 but it was actually 1962, which proves that everything you said about Castro is wrong!") because they can't actually rebut your argument.

Sometimes it is just a case of genuine misunderstanding, with people objecting to what they think you meant. In which context, I'm reminded of a seminar which mentioned there being five different things that come out of any conversation, speech, or forum post:

1> What you said.

2> What you think you said.

3> What you actually meant.

4> What other people think you said.

5> What other people think you meant!

I suppose that's what makes it all work...as a forum

But there are folk who deliberately inflame things for no other reason than they get some sort of enjoyment out of it.

I looked at that link that grandad_malky posted, and I recognise quite a few of those attributes here on this forum.

Archived