The Donner Family on Thomas Street

GraemeMorris

I am researching the life and career of a Samuel Donner (or Donnor, born 1858 ) who fought with the Coldstream Guards in Egypt in 1882. Sam's family lived at 154 and 179 Thomas Street, Eccleshall Bierlow, Sheffield (I think this may have been called Tudor Street in earlier years). Sam was a bricklayer and his mother, Emma (born 1824), ran (at least in 1881) a newsagent shop.

I don't know Sheffield well at all, but looking at the map suggests that the present Thomas Street is too short to have 179 houses!

I know this is asking a lot, but can anyone help me with any information about the Donner family home(s) or, indeed, about the Donners? One thing I can't find out is when or where Sam died.

I have some more information on the other Donner family members and I'm hoping to have more soon on his military career if anyone is interested.

Thanks

That's probably Samuel's father who was born in Ireland in about 1810. I didn't have a date of death for him. In 1861 he was calling himself William Donnel but he'd vanished/died by the time of the 1871 census when Emma (his wife) is given as head of household.

Yep, thats my man! Thanks.

The "Subery B" middle names were also recorded for him at his marriage (to a Frances Lawrence [b.1860]) in 1877.

Somehow I'd hoped he'd lived to a ripe old age, but c'est la vie.

Was he still living in Eccleshall Bierlow? He seemed to be very attached to the place, rearing his own family just down the street from his mum even after his time in the army. A proper Sheffield-lad!

Many thanks for the tip about FreeBMD. I hadn't heard of it before - I'd only been using Ancestry and 1837online.

==========

Now I just need to sort out my 'geography' - the junction of Bramall Lane with St Mary's is very near to the present Thomas St, so its probably the same road as was Thomas St/Tudor St in the 19th century.

It still doesn't look long enough for 179 houses though.

I expect its all been bombed or demolished by now anyway.

• 3 years later...

Archived