The Problem with the Banking System: How Money is Made / Created

Bottle tops as legal tender? That's a good 'un :hihi:

C'mon - give us all a laugh and start a FOTL thread - birth bonds traded on the stock market :hihi::hihi::hihi:

There you go, twisting words, I never said birth bonds were sold on the stock market.

Are you saying that the government don't create legal tender in the form of bonds and that those bonds are not backed by your sweat equity, and that they are not sold on the stock market?

Prove me wrong.

You can't, all you can do is create :) :) :) :) and attempt to ridicule.

Here's another one for you, don't pay your phone bill, phone the phone company and ask them to send you a remittance, then accept it and send it back.

See what happens, do you think they'll accept it as payment or take you to court.

Then try do the same with your council tax and see how they'll try and have you up in court faster than you can say remittance.

Yes bottle tops, I thought it strange too, refused to serve him a few times, but it's illegal (notice I don't say unlawful) to refuse to accept legal tender.

And yeah I watched my manager run it through the accounts and stuck it in the same bag as all the other tender that went to the bank.

Who I assume also ran it through the accounts.

C'mon - since when have bottle tops been legal tender - your manager might have taken pity on him and then put the bottle tops in the bin on the way to the bank. If you can find any definition of legal tender that includes bottle tops please let us all know - it'd save me a bob or two in the local :D

Here's another one for you, don't pay your phone bill, phone the phone company and ask them to send you a remittance, then accept it and send it back.

See what happens, do you think they'll accept it as payment or take you to court.

Not the "accepted for value" scam. Doesn't work. FOTL websites are lttered with failure.

A remittance will be accepted by a phone company - if a cheque or cash is included.

"Legal tender is a medium of payment allowed by law or recognized by a legal system to be valid for meeting a financial obligation." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_tender

Are you going to laugh at tally sticks too?

Which are nothing more than sticks, as in wood, picked from the ground.

I asked my manager why he was accepting bottle tops as legal tender.

His words were "because if we didn't, he'd just walk in and take what he needs to survive, and we cannot do anything to stop it, at least this way we get paid".

You don't have to take my word for it, go speak to Alf and ask him to go purchase his dinner, then go watch it for yourself.

Or just stand by laughing at him, choice is yours.

Not the "accepted for value" scam. Doesn't work. FOTL websites are lttered with failure.

A remittance will be accepted by a phone company - if a cheque or cash is included.

I'm glad you brought up the "Accepted for value" scam as you call it, I once stood and read out an invoice to my old boss, where he'd written "Accepted for value" and then provided the company number beneath it on an invoice he'd received for goods.

I didn't know it was a scam though, I thought it was just the way business worked when it was having cash flow problems.

I wouldn't know about FOTL websites, you obviously frequent them more than I do.

There you go, twisting words, I never said birth bonds were sold on the stock market.

Are you saying that the government don't create legal tender in the form of bonds and that those bonds are not backed by your sweat equity, and that they are not sold on the stock market?

Prove me wrong.

Government do indeed create bonds - they are sold on the stock market. They have no direct link to any individual.

Oh BTW the government does print money (or the Bank of England on behalf of the government).

I asked my manager why he was accepting bottle tops as legal tender.

His words were "because if we didn't, he'd just walk in and take what he needs to survive, and we cannot do anything to stop it, at least this way we get paid".

So if your manager was letting a person pay with bottle tops that was his outlook. They won't have been accepted by the bank. Or anyone else for that matter.

I'm glad you brought up the "Accepted for value" scam as you call it, I once stood and read out an invoice to my old boss, where he'd written "Accepted for value" and then provided the company number beneath it on an invoice he'd received for goods.

I didn't know it was a scam though, I thought it was just the way business worked when it was having cash flow problems.

Nope -"accepted for value" is a scam being "sold" to desperate people as a way of paying bills. It just lands them in more trouble.

Government do indeed create bonds - they are sold on the stock market. They have no direct link to any individual.

Oh BTW the government does print money (or the Bank of England on behalf of the government).

I didn't say the bonds were directly linked to any individual, I said they are backed by sweat equity created by you and me, quite a difference.

And then you go on to contradict yourself with the latter sentence.

Archived