The Problem with the Banking System: How Money is Made / Created

Compound interest is surely the crux of the problem. Now I only scraped a C in GCSE maths but it makes sense to me that if every pound loaned into existence (which is basically what makes up 95% of currency in circulation) carries with it interest, and only the principal is created, then it stands to reason we will need to borrow more interest-laden money in order to cover the interest repayment. Of course, this loan further compounds the interest we were trying to repay from the original loan.

Not one person has been able to explain to me how such a system can possibly be self-cancelling and therefore sustainable.

Mervyn "no ****" King was right - "of all the many ways of organising banking, the worst is the one we have today".

Why would you need to borrow more to repay your original debt?

You use the original debt (if you're a company) to grow your business, profit repays the original debt, you don't borrow more and there is no problem with compound interest since you are paying down the debt.

All suggestions welcome :)

Your IED source and the Positive Banking campaign offer comprehensive alternatives.

In a nutshell - more public stakeholdership and social control in banking through the legal requirement of democratic charters. Bankers would still earn generous pay for sound investments based on adherence to those charters. All interest would be returned to a mutual public trust (rather than siphoned off into some tax haven) or credit union and reinvested in public services to ensure it's put back into the real economy.

Why would you need to borrow more to repay your original debt?

You use the original debt (if you're a company) to grow your business, profit repays the original debt, you don't borrow more and there is no problem with compound interest since you are paying down the debt.

I'm talking society-wide. The collective debt of the economy and how more money must be continually loaned in order to cover the principal + interest.

Oh that's easy.

Everyone defaults on their debt and we start again.

No, it's easier than that. Companies make profit, individuals are paid for work.

They use this profit or pay to pay down their debts.

Fractional reserve banking allows a certain amount of money to be invented (the M3 money supply isn't it?), it's effectively a loan against future profit or earning, that's where the money 'really' comes from, borrowed from your future.

Your IED source and the Positive Banking campaign offer comprehensive alternatives.

In a nutshell - more public stakeholdership and social control in banking through the legal requirement of democratic charters. Bankers would still earn generous pay for sound investments based on adherence to those charters. All interest would be returned to a mutual public trust (rather than siphoned off into some tax haven) or credit union and reinvested in public services to ensure its put back into the real economy.

I think that is confusing the role of private and central banking.

Interest earned by a private bank is used to pay for staff, goods, services etc.

Investing in public services is a role for central government from taxation etc.

Maybe everyone who cares already knows how fractional reserve banking works and isn't interested in wasting their time listening to something that supports chem1sts crazy ideas about the economy.

So what happens when they print a shed load of inflation in a few hours?

What about the million youth unemployed (and rising)?

What about the monopoly on money?

What about the monopoly on land and the inverse farm size productivity relationship?

Our economy must be perfectly fine in your eyes.

Tell me cyclone, where did you get your tinted glasses, is the government running a subsidy program for them?

Interest earned by a private bank is used to pay for staff, goods, services etc.

Only that? Really? That might be how a co-op is run (i.e. enough profit just to cover the running costs) but private banks have external shareholders which is what most of their profit margin covers.

Investing in public services is a role for central government from taxation etc.

That's a statist view. I would like to see the role of the state reduced in that department.

One key benefit of more social control over banking is that it CAN help reduce the direct tax burden on individuals by funding social projects.

Archived