More smoking restrictions on the way.

The current no smoking in pubs legislation cannot be policed. Many pubs are allowing smoking again and police turn a blind eye. So why introduce more legislation that cannot be enforced?

What a ridiculous argument.

Some people get away with murder, does that mean we should scrap that legislation too?

Even if 'many' pubs are allowing smoking again, the vast majority are not, so the legislation is working.

What a ridiculous argument.

Some people get away with murder, does that mean we should scrap that legislation too?

Even if 'many' pubs are allowing smoking again, the vast majority are not, so the legislation is working.

It appears that you have visited the vast majority of pubs to have reached that conclusion. Did you visit them all tonight?:cool:

It appears that you have visited the vast majority of pubs to have reached that conclusion. Did you visit them all tonight?:cool:

Ok, I don't know for sure whether it is the vast majority of pubs, just like you don't know how many ignore the legislation either. I was basing it on the fact that I do go to quite a few pubs and I've haven't seen any of them permit smoking.

Fortunately for me though, that doesn't actually matter for my point, I'm still right. Even if only the pubs I go to followed the rules and no others the legislation would still have a net positive effect. Especially if as you claim the police don't bother to enforce it so no no police money is being wasted.

Ok, I don't know for sure whether it is the vast majority of pubs, just like you don't know how many ignore the legislation either. I was basing it on the fact that I do go to quite a few pubs and I've haven't seen any of them permit smoking.

Fortunately for me though, that doesn't actually matter for my point, I'm still right. Even if only the pubs I go to followed the rules and no others the legislation would still have a net positive effect. Especially if as you claim the police don't bother to enforce it so no no police money is being wasted.

But you said "The vast majority"....is this an admission that you was wrong?

Mercurian, I've typed out an answer to your question, and will gladly post it on here if and when you do me the courtesy of responding to my main point, otherwise I might begin to suspect you are just being a troll, in which case there would be no further point in engaging you. Here it is again, in case you missed it:

Seriously, I have typed out an answer, I'm just waiting for you to show me the same courtesy I've shown you and then I'll click reply.

Anounced on the news this evening that Wales is to monitor a voluntary ban on smoking in cars with children in them. If the voluntary code doesn't work legislation could be introduced. UK expected to follow suit.

What,kids aint allowed to smoke anymore:P when they are driving about in Wales??

About time too. If you want to smoke in your car then thats your right. BUT. as soon as there are kids in the car they also have the right to stay fit and healthy for as long as possible. So fab move, IMHO.

Creating black markets is always ultimately counter productive. I think that you know that really.

Look at all the extra jobs it would produce? ;)

Not only jobs for the people who bring the cigarettes into the country, but jobs for the people who try to stop them and jobs for the people who have to 'look after' the people who've been stopped.

Why stop at £25 for a packet of cigarettes? Make Beer a Tenner a pint, make Spliffs £50 a pop. Think of all the low-cost housing you could build with the revenue?

Archived