More smoking restrictions on the way.

I'm certainly not advocating smoking - it's a dangerous habit - but if you're going to attack smoking using statistics - and if you want a chance of winning - then IMO, you have to choose your statistics carefully.

You said "my dad at the age of 64, a work colleague age 45 a few years later, a friend (just recently) age 42.All were smokers, all died of lung cancer. "

Sorry to hear that, but:

How many people have died of lung cancer (Since records existed - which is quite a while)

How many were smokers?

How many were not smokers?

If the answer to the last question is a significant number, you may have difficulty in proving that lung cancer is caused by smoking.

There are, however, two types of cancer (both bladder cancers, which cause extremely painful deaths) which have ONLY been found in smokers.

No country to which tobacco has been introduced has ever managed to eradicate its use.

IMO. the government could do far more to eradicate smoking.

The legal age at which you can buy tobacco in the UK is 18. (As it is in many other countries.) Enforce that law. Make buying tobacco for a minor a serious offence and buying or possessing tobacco if you are a minor an offence which - although it will not give you a criminal record - will tie up most of your spare time for a few months.

Next year, put the minimum age up to 19

The following year, 20.

Then 21.

and so on.

In 40 years time there will be very few smokers. That is indeed a long time - but people in the UK have been talking about discouraging people from smoking for longer than that.

I dont have kids as such but how long before big brother tells me I cannot smoke in my car... The world listens to liberals it seems. My parents didnt and it did me no wrong...

But do you think had your parents not smoked with you in the car, there may have been a chance that you never started smoking in the first place?

Anounced on the news this evening that Wales is to monitor a voluntary ban on smoking in cars with children in them. If the voluntary code doesn't work legislation could be introduced. UK expected to follow suit.

Who on earth smokes in a car with kids in any way?

I'm certainly not advocating smoking - it's a dangerous habit - but if you're going to attack smoking using statistics - and if you want a chance of winning - then IMO, you have to choose your statistics carefully.

You said "my dad at the age of 64, a work colleague age 45 a few years later, a friend (just recently) age 42.All were smokers, all died of lung cancer. "

Sorry to hear that, but:

How many people have died of lung cancer (Since records existed - which is quite a while)

How many were smokers?

How many were not smokers?

If the answer to the last question is a significant number, you may have difficulty in proving that lung cancer is caused by smoking.

There are, however, two types of cancer (both bladder cancers, which cause extremely painful deaths) which have ONLY been found in smokers.

No country to which tobacco has been introduced has ever managed to eradicate its use.

IMO. the government could do far more to eradicate smoking.

The legal age at which you can buy tobacco in the UK is 18. (As it is in many other countries.) Enforce that law. Make buying tobacco for a minor a serious offence and buying or possessing tobacco if you are a minor an offence which - although it will not give you a criminal record - will tie up most of your spare time for a few months.

Next year, put the minimum age up to 19

The following year, 20.

Then 21.

and so on.

In 40 years time there will be very few smokers. That is indeed a long time - but people in the UK have been talking about discouraging people from smoking for longer than that.

15% of people with lung cancer are non-smokers.

Exposure to tobacco smoke is by far and away the biggest cause of lung cancer

I am really sick to death of people talking about you cannot smoke here, you cannot smoke there it’s getting like a police state. I agree don’t smoke with the kids in the car which to me is more about bad parenting rather than not smoking.

This country is supposed to be a free country but this is slowly changing into a don’t do this state. In my opinion a pub should be able to choose if it wants to be a smoking pub or non smoking pub, they should have a sign outside stating if it is a smoking pub and if people don’t want to go in that is up to them. This gives us back our freedom of choice and may make some pubs popular again.

Whether you none smokers wish to hear it or not I know of plenty of none smokers who say they would have no problem if smoking was allowed in pubs again. All you not smokers stop bleating on about us smokers think one day they could stop something you enjoy

Anounced on the news this evening that Wales is to monitor a voluntary ban on smoking in cars with children in them. If the voluntary code doesn't work legislation could be introduced. UK expected to follow suit.

This is just common sense. If you smoke anywhere confined with children around or just none smokers, in fact, you're a tool.

I wonder whether his parents smoked after sex?

Perhaps if they hadn't smoked in the car, there would've been no Spotty?

I was once asked if I smoked after sex.

My reply was, I dont know I've never looked.

I am really sick to death of people talking about you cannot smoke here, you cannot smoke there it’s getting like a police state. I agree don’t smoke with the kids in the car which to me is more about bad parenting rather than not smoking.

This country is supposed to be a free country but this is slowly changing into a don’t do this state. In my opinion a pub should be able to choose if it wants to be a smoking pub or non smoking pub, they should have a sign outside stating if it is a smoking pub and if people don’t want to go in that is up to them. This gives us back our freedom of choice and may make some pubs popular again.

Whether you none smokers wish to hear it or not I know of plenty of none smokers who say they would have no problem if smoking was allowed in pubs again. All you not smokers stop bleating on about us smokers think one day they could stop something you enjoy

The ban on smoking in public buildings was about the welfare of the employees.

Some good points here. I don't smoke, and never have done, and would choose a "non-smoking" pub every time - but like you say, it gives back the freedom of choice.

As for smoking in cars - definately shouldn't be allowed with children in the car - and certainly shouldn't be allowed whilst driving! - must cause as many accidents as using a mobile phone.

Also, there is depreciation of the vehicle to consider - who wants to buy a second-hand car which smells of an old ash-tray?

Archived