The bridge inn ,chapeltown

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
still trying to find out exsactly when the Bridge Inn was knocked down 1961 poss,the liscence was transvered to the Greengate Inn on Greengate Lane ,

We bought our house on Bridge Inn Road in the late 60's, can't remember the pub being there then. I remember the Chapel being knocked down in 1972.

the estate on the left hand side of Bridge inn Road was built on the land behind where the Bridge Inn pub used to be Auther Maw lived in the pub they were coal merchants ,after he knocked the pub down he built bungalow at the top of the hill next to gardens at the back of Chapel Green ,which he then sold the land and the bungalow to a developer who knocked the bungalow down and built the estate,Auther Maw then bought a farm near Peniston where he still lives .>>>>>

like i said befor i think the Bridge Inn was knocked down in about 1961,the coal merchants called Auther Maw lived there and he knocked it down with his cousin Harold Maw who,s son lives on your estate ,auther then built a bungalo on the land at the top of hill next to the gardens at the back of Chapel Green ,then he sold it to a developer who knocked the bungalo down and built your estate all along the lefthand side of Bridge Inn road ,then Auther Maw bought a small farm just outside of Peniston where he still lives ,The chapel that was knocked down do you mean the old Lane end club ,

Archived