The Middle Finger

The website you linked to is about the theory being wrong.

However it really came about, we can be pretty sure that it’s bugger all to do with medieval archers.

It's interesting, but it is known to be false. There is not a single reference to this theory until well into the 19th century; the longbowmen had been extinct for hundreds of years by then.

That'll teach me to read the whole page before I put my foot in it again.:D

An American television network has apologised after pop star M.I.A. extended her middle finger during Sunday night's Super Bowl halftime show. What does the gesture mean, and when did it become offensive?

I find things like this interesting, and wonder why people genuinely get upset by it. I can understand if it was to them specifically, but just to see it on camera and be offended by it is a little extreme, I feel.

Is this gesture still vastly offensive? Would you be offended if you saw it on television? Is it offensive enough to warrant an apology?

Americans find it offensive as we dont use the two finger salute.

She did it at one of the most ostentatious displays of being an American (the Super Bowl) and her not being one, makes it all more enraging (I'm sure FOX News is having a field day about it)

Personally, I'm not fussed with it. I dont see anything offensive about it and think Americans, as usual, are over reacting. :roll:

She did it at one of the most ostentatious displays of being an American (the Super Bowl) and her not being one, makes it all more enraging

Ah, she's British. Never heard of her.

- M.I.A. performed the song alongside Madonna and Minaj at the Bridgestone Super Bowl XLVI Halftime Show on 5 February 2012, from Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis in the United States. Instead of singing the lyric "sh*t" in the song, M.I.A. extended the middle finger to the camera.

Making the letter O with the index finger and thumb is generally accepted as meaning Ok but in some countries it is considered a great insult. I do not find the middle finger offensive at all, infact, if used correctly it can be quite enjoyable :heyhey::thumbsup:

Americans find it offensive as we dont use the two finger salute.

She did it at one of the most ostentatious displays of being an American (the Super Bowl) and her not being one, makes it all more enraging (I'm sure FOX News is having a field day about it)

Personally, I'm not fussed with it. I dont see anything offensive about it and think Americans, as usual, are over reacting. :roll:

Why Fox news ? it wasn't a political thing, the reason it's an issue is that Super Bowl Sunday is known for being for the whole family, children off all ages watch it, whoever that idiot was must have been a friend of Madonnas, they should both go back to England.

Archived