The Middle Finger

Why Fox news ? it wasn't a political thing, the reason it's an issue is that Super Bowl Sunday is known for being for the whole family, children off all ages watch it, whoever that idiot was must have been a friend of Madonnas, they should both go back to England.

Because it was FOX 'News' that made hyperboil of Janet Jacksons boob slip (which wouldnt even have been caught if not for Tivo)

Because it was FOX 'News' that made hyperboil of Janet Jacksons boob slip (which wouldnt even have been caught if not for Tivo)

All channels made hipe over that, it brought in ratings, also that incident was well planned ahead for that purpose.

Making the letter O with the index finger and thumb is generally accepted as meaning Ok but in some countries it is considered a great insult. I do not find the middle finger offensive at all, infact, if used correctly it can be quite enjoyable :heyhey::thumbsup:

And that is why it's offensive!

I find it more offensive than the 2 fingered salute.

And that is why it's offensive!

I find it more offensive than the 2 fingered salute.

I think that's just down to upbringing and social norms; there's no way to objectively quantify what is more or less offensive a gesture. (So far as I know, the two-finger salute is offensive only in Britain; people from other countries wouldn't understand it, unless they happen to know that it's offensive here.)

Has it occurred to anyone that the singer in question might have thought that the gesture would be less offensive than singing the obscene lyric? Has she been asked, or offered any explanation?

Well...Now that i am better informed about finger gestures i don't think i will be using the "thumbs up" smilie again.If i'm in any doubt as to their nationality.

http://www.languagetrainers.co.uk/blog/2007/09/24/top-10-hand-gestures/

Heres some more useless information the thumbs up originated from the Roman gladiator games, in the arena when one had his opponent at his mercy he looked up to the Emperor,if he gave the thumbs up he lived,the thumbs down he died poor sod!!:roll::gag:

I think that's just down to upbringing and social norms; there's no way to objectively quantify what is more or less offensive a gesture. (So far as I know, the two-finger salute is offensive only in Britain; people from other countries wouldn't understand it, unless they happen to know that it's offensive here.)

Has it occurred to anyone that the singer in question might have thought that the gesture would be less offensive than singing the obscene lyric? Has she been asked, or offered any explanation?

I thought the level of offence could be inferred from the size of the font used to write "I'm offended - FACT!"

Heres some more useless information the thumbs up originated from the Roman gladiator games

Yet again, I have to correct you. The Roman pollice verso only means 'with a turned thumb' - we have no idea which way it was turned and which way signified death, or mercy.

The Thumb Up

So, if the defeated gladiator had fought well, he could be spared by a thumbs up gesture. If he had fought badly, he could be slain by a thumbs down. From this specific use of the two thumb signals, it is argued, came our modern usage, with the thumbs up meaning 'all's well -- O.K.'and the thumbs down meaning 'no good -- failure'. This has become the dominant interpretation of the two gestures throughout Europe, and much of the rest of the world.

What could be simpler? The answer is that it would indeed be a simple derivational explanation, if only it happened to be true. But it is not. The ancient Romans did not behave in the manner ascribed to them, and the whole story of the thumbs up 'approval' sign is based on misunderstanding and mistranslation. It is a complete distortion of the facts, and the true basis for our modern usage comes from a different source altogether. What has happened is that, having acquired our modern thumbs up and down meanings from elsewhere, we have then blatantly re-written Roman history to fit in.

- Morris, D. (1979)

Archived