Why is this a hate crime and NOT a racist attack?

I know, I'm saying how it's funny that yours and Frank's mysterious amnesia always comes down on the side of the racists.

Funny that, innit?

What's funny is how I was a liar 2 minutes ago, now I'm just defending racists.

You have spent a good part of the day trying to get an argument out of a none issue. Reading is the easy part, its the understanding that takes some work.

Now thats what I said. Where am I lying ?

The highlighted parts show it is my opinion, where is anything stated as fact ?

I Say:I remember the killing of Steven Laurence been all over the news from the off, even though there was no witnesses to say it was racially motivated and was up to the the Police to actually prove it was.

What news reports are you thinking of?

You remember all the newspaper articles you read fifteen years ago, or are you posting made-up lies?

I know, I'm saying how it's funny that yours and Frank's mysterious amnesia always comes down on the side of the racists.

Funny that, innit?

Dunno about hard2miss but my opinion is formed without getting emotionally involved and not being swayed by others opinions, just looking at the facts.. I don't know how many times I have to say that the killers deserve life for such a horrible crime...

What news reports are you thinking of?

You remember all the newspaper articles you read fifteen years ago, or are you posting made-up lies?

http://www.uk.sagepub.com/stout/greer_news_media%20-%20vic_crime_soc.pdf

That's a good link, should keep you quiet for whole of 2 minutes.

I'm still reading it, but it shows the people of the Laurence murder as a racist crime (read the small news print) as I somewhat remember it.

I will read the PDF and post further on it, but its interesting to see that this talks of there being an 'Ideal victim'.

I'm still reading it, but it shows the people of the Laurence murder as a racist crime (read the small news print) as I somewhat remember it.

This sentence makes no sense. What are you talking about? Your link has nothing to do with your claims, are you losing it?

Not all crime victims receive equal attention in the news media.

Occasionally, intense media coverage may be devoted to victims who can

be discredited on the basis of, for example, a criminal, promiscuous or

otherwise questionable past. More often, however, media resourses are allocated to the representation of those victims who can be portrayed as ‘ideal’.

Christie (1986: 18) describes the ‘ideal victim’ as ‘a person or category of individuals who – when hit by crime – most readily are given the complete and

legitimate status of being a victim’. This group includes those who are perceived as vulnerable, defenceless, innocent and worthy of sympathy and

compassion.

http://www.uk.sagepub.com/stout/greer_news_media%20-%20vic_crime_soc.pdf

This can account for the differential between reports, it is probably down to this. It makes some sense to me. Being a White majority may not always fit the bill of being 'worthy of sympathy' as it says.

Archived