Why is this a hate crime and NOT a racist attack?

AFAIK a racist attack is a type of hate crime. In this particular case, if The Sun is to be believed, there were no indications that the attack was motivated by race.

jb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_crime

Arr so racist attacks are hate crimes but hate crime if between two races does not have to be racism ?

I'm nearly there but still confused a little. Who says its one or the other and what basis is that decision made, other than if your white it is automatically ticks the racism box.

I saw a story about a gang of Asians beating a white bloke up in Doncaster (or maybe Rotherham) the other year and that also skipped over the R word in the charge.

Why is this classed as a 'hate crime' instead of a 'racist attack' ?

This ties in with a topic already running about racism, but as I want to get to the bottom of this particular question on its own merit I though it better to ask it directly in its own topic.

Why if you are white and attack someone of colour do you have the stigma of 'racist attached to your crime but, as in this instance and the Somalian girls that beat the white girl, if its the other way round its just classed as hate ?

The Somalian girls in my opinion got off scott free because of the lack of mention about it being racial, so this is an issue worth debating.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4112153/17-year-old-boy-Dan-Stringer-battered-by-Asian-hate-mob-in-Manchester.html

What possible reason could someone seriously give for hating someone they don’t know?

To do that kind of damage requires a lot of hate and that doesn’t come from disliking the colour of someone shirt.

Good look with the debate I doubt it will last long.

Who says its one or the other and what basis is that decision made, other than if your white it is automatically ticks the racism box.

No, it doesn't. You made that up. If a white person assaults a black person it's not assumed automatically to be racist, stop posting rubbish.

What possible reason could someone seriously give for hating someone they don’t know?

To do that kind of damage requires a lot of hate and that doesn’t come from disliking the colour of someone shirt.

Good look with the debate I doubt it will last long.

Now the M word has been mentioned I predict a lockdown.

hard2miss referred to, and lied about, the Somalian case.

Please enlighten me as to where I lied. You have just accused me of demonizing Muslims, so I think your the only one here that's making stuff up.

Feel free to link to where I mention Muslims.

No, it doesn't. You made that up. If a white person assaults a black person it's not assumed automatically to be racist, stop posting rubbish.

Feel free to drag up some examples to show that its not. Ok so I'll correct myself.

The 'perception' is that if your white it automatically ticks the racism box.

Care to change my perception ?

Please enlighten me as to where I lied. You have just accused me of demonizing Muslims, so I think your the only one here that's making stuff up.

Feel free to link to where I mention Muslims.

You claimed the Somalian girls got away scot free. That's a lie.

You claimed any white on black attack would automatically be assumed to be racist. This is rubbish too.

To answer the question in the title, it's just down to the Sun reporter's choice of words.

The Guardian is reporting it as an 'alleged race hate attack' in their headline for the story. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/feb/07/alleged-race-hate-attack-hyde?newsfeed=true The Manchester Evening News uses similar words in their headline.

Feel free to drag up some examples to show that its not. Ok so I'll correct myself.

The 'perception' is that if your white it automatically ticks the racism box.

Care to change my perception ?

11/00, Tariq Javed, 48, Bury, Manchester

Murdered by a gang of White men who hijacked his cab. He was beaten, robbed and then run over by his own car. Mark Baxter and Jason Power were convicted of murder and robbery and jailed for life. Police said there was no evidence that the murder was racially motivated.

http://www.irr.org.uk/2002/november/ak000008.html

I doubt very much whether the facts will change your perception though..

Archived