Why is this a hate crime and NOT a racist attack?

There doesn't need to be. There only needs to be a perception within the community that a hate crime has been committed, for it to be treated as a hate crime by Manchester police.

I don't think so. Police enquiries should be led by the facts which they are in possession of, and which are not generally available to the public until the case comes to trial. If those facts tally with public perception, well and good, but if not, they should ignore it, if they are doing their jobs properly.

I don't think so. Police enquiries should be led by the facts which they are in possession of, and which are not generally available to the public until the case comes to trial. If those facts tally with public perception, well and good, but if not, they should ignore it, if they are doing their jobs properly.

I agree with you, but that is what they do.

Another sweeping generalisation.

Of course it's a generalisation but I think a reasonable enough one. Gay people for example tend to be related to heterosexuals, have heterosexual friends, colleagues... as such this tends to reduce the risks of homosexuals launching retaliatory hate crimes against heterosexuals in response to gay bashing.

I never said that it was a quote.

:huh: But I never said it was. What I did do is point out that your objection makes no sense as I said hate crimes can "create the risk of retaliatory hate crime" not that they unfailing generate retaliatory attacks.

Source please.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-16351780

Ch Supt Kevin Mulligan, divisional commander for Salford, said: "We have not established a clear motive for the senseless murder of Anuj and there is no definitive evidence pointing to it being racially-motivated.

"However, we are treating this as a hate crime based on the growing perceptions within the community it was motivated by hate.

Hallelujah! Thank you for the reasoned post. I'd also add that sometimes the media may describe an incident in their own words. The Sun didn't say the attack was racially motivated, but as you have pointed out the police seem to think it was. There's also a bit here about it being a race-hate-crime attack: http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1478292_video-hyde-gang-victim-17-year-old-daniel-stringer-prince-relives-horror-of-race-hate-crime-attack
It seems that the Police are dismissing it being Racially motivated in this BBC story on it. The only people who believe it to be racially motivated are the victims. I would have thought that that would have been the only opinion that mattered ?

You are a victim of what you feel you have been made a victim of arnt you ? other wise your not a victim at all.

If someone points something at you and you believe it to be a gun, regardless of whether it is or not, are you not guilty of causing that offence ? That's the explanation anyone who gets put on a fire arms ban gets told.

So if this kids gets chased by a group of lads for doing no more than being in their community has he not got the right to feel that it was racially motivated and have it treated as such ?

Maybe its just me :huh:

So if this kids gets chased by a group of lads for doing no more than being in their community has he not got the right to feel that it was racially motivated and have it treated as such ?

Maybe its just me :huh:

So you think the fights between Mods and Rockers were racist?

Ha ha! You always run away from awkward questions.

"So if this kids gets chased by a group of lads for doing no more than being in their community has he not got the right to feel that it was racially motivated and have it treated as such ?"

That applies to Mods and Rockers, yes or no?

Archived