£800.. to have a will written !

I know you can buy the form to write your own will for a few quid and the sum of £800 soundds like daylight robbery. A few years ago we had a family will done which meant four of us sat at my sisters, the company sent an official to the house and wrote our four wills, total cost £200 The company look after the wil and I can make ammendments or alterations at no extra cost and I seem to remember I had to sign it and have my signature witnessed to make it all legal.

I know you can buy the form to write your own will for a few quid and the sum of £800 soundds like daylight robbery. A few years ago we had a family will done which meant four of us sat at my sisters, the company sent an official to the house and wrote our four wills, total cost £200 The company look after the wil and I can make ammendments or alterations at no extra cost and I seem to remember I had to sign it and have my signature witnessed to make it all legal.
The problem is that the £200 is only a foot in the door to act as executors of the will!...............and that,s when the real charges start!........be very careful.

The problem is that the £200 is only a foot in the door to act as executors of the will!...............and that,s when the real charges start!........be very careful.

No they are only the will writers, I wasn't all that bothered as my will is quite simple but my mothers had to be worded very carefully and my sister has quite a bit to divy up as well. My sister who i trust is the executor of my will and she and I are dual executors of my brothers will.

I remember when my grandfather died and his will was kept by his solicitor who was also the executor and the cost of this made me shudder, even more so than usual as he'd been a close family friend, I know my mother was rather less than impressed with his greedy behaviour.

Allowing a solicitor to be the executor of a will is giving them a licence to take your money. I know a lady who was a beneficiary and could not believe how much the solicitor screwed out of the estate. He would always be "out" when she called and dragged it out for many many months, introducing new charges as he went along. He even organised a buffet after the funeral. The buffet was very very expensive and the food was terrible. The solicitor obviously took a massive fee for "organising " it.

Archived