£800.. to have a will written !

A few weeks ago, my elderly mother was in the co-operative bank & she decided to enquire about having a will written/updated, there wasn't anyone at the bank at that time to deal with it & she was told that someone would ring her as it was all done over the phone anyway. A few days later someone did ring her & explained a few things about writing the will,when she asked how much it would be, he said £800, my mother (shocked) said" HOW MUCH",he said £800,anyway she said "i will have to think about it" & left it at that.

When she told me i decided to have a look on the co-op website, on their website it says wills are written from £125, I would have thought it would be somewhere near this price as her will is not that complicated.

I may be guessing but i suspect the co-op is using an independent will writer, & that person is trying to pull a fast one !

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

i would suggest that you watch the press around march, you will find free wills week where you can have your will done by a solicitor free of charge. they do like you to make a bequest to a charity and there are several chatities to pick from.

I've had the opposite experience where executors are concerned. Distant cousins of mine conned my Autie into leaving them her entire estate...AND...made them executors....They have blocked every attempt to challenge the will, because the executor has to grant permission to see any documentation, and of course they won't release any paperwork claiming they want to maintain her 'privacy'. It's been dragging on for 2 years, and they are busily spending the 350k they conned her out of!

My thoughts are that a beneficiary should not be allowed to also be an executor!!!!

i would suggest that you watch the press around march, you will find free wills week where you can have your will done by a solicitor free of charge. they do like you to make a bequest to a charity and there are several chatities to pick from.

I would imagine that is something like when I had mine done through the union at work, its fine if it’s a straight forward will ……. I leave everything to my wife …….. she leaves everything to me ….. in the event of both of us dieing the kids get equal shares.

Any more than that and you will be paying for it.

I've had the opposite experience where executors are concerned. Distant cousins of mine conned my Autie into leaving them her entire estate...AND...made them executors....They have blocked every attempt to challenge the will, because the executor has to grant permission to see any documentation, and of course they won't release any paperwork claiming they want to maintain her 'privacy'. It's been dragging on for 2 years, and they are busily spending the 350k they conned her out of!

My thoughts are that a beneficiary should not be allowed to also be an executor!!!!

. . . and being an Executor is about as difficult as a walk in the park.

If they were of sound mind when the will was written how do you know they were conned?

I can't go into graphic detail on here, but suffice to say my Auntie was 90 years old and changed her will in their favour 6 months before she died, and they've blocked every attempt to access her medical records, which would prove one way or the other. If there's nothing to hide, why block access? There are other contributory factors too!

Archived