£800.. to have a will written !

My will was written about 20 years ago so could do with updating.

Willman, what sort of cost would I be looking at for a very straightforward one? ie/ the lot goes to my son.

Most firms would charge £50 to £100 (+ VAT). No, I don't handle Wills or Probate work- so this advice is disinterested.

A few weeks ago, my elderly mother was in the co-operative bank & she decided to enquire about having a will written/updated, there wasn't anyone at the bank at that time to deal with it & she was told that someone would ring her as it was all done over the phone anyway. A few days later someone did ring her & explained a few things about writing the will,when she asked how much it would be, he said £800, my mother (shocked) said" HOW MUCH",he said £800,anyway she said "i will have to think about it" & left it at that.

When she told me i decided to have a look on the co-op website, on their website it says wills are written from £125, I would have thought it would be somewhere near this price as her will is not that complicated.

I may be guessing but i suspect the co-op is using an independent will writer, & that person is trying to pull a fast one !

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

800 quid !

Its not even worth dying these days !!!

A few weeks ago, my elderly mother was in the co-operative bank & she decided to enquire about having a will written/updated, there wasn't anyone at the bank at that time to deal with it & she was told that someone would ring her as it was all done over the phone anyway. A few days later someone did ring her & explained a few things about writing the will,when she asked how much it would be, he said £800, my mother (shocked) said" HOW MUCH",he said £800,anyway she said "i will have to think about it" & left it at that.

Is your mother especially wealthy or does she have complex affairs? If neither apply that is far too expensive.

This is an interesting thread particularly because we really must get our wills sorted out.

Ours are just mirror wills so pretty straightforward. We each know of the others particular requests and will follow them through.

Of course if we both stuff it at the same time then the kids get the lot shared between them. I would like to protect our youngests interests though because she's hanging out with a deadhead right now and I don't want him to get his thieving mitts on anything of ours!

At the moment we would name our two eldest as executors but if the youngest drops the deadbeat then she would also be an executor. Fortunately we can trust them implicitly to honour our wishes and they wouldn't dream of trying to do each other out of anything.

We would also store the will ourselves seeing as we've got a built in fireproof safe.

It's nice to know that it won't be as expensive as I'd first feared...........now, if we went down the route of trying to protect the house from being taken for future care home fee's then I would expect the cost to spiral quite a bit.

I haven't read all the posts on here so forgive me if this has been mentioned.....would a will still be valid if you wrote your wishes yourself and just got some independent witnesses to sign it?

The problem with that is do you understand every eventuality that could occur.

It wasn't until the wife was diagnosed with cancer that we decided we had better make our wills.

Simple mirror wills ...what's her's is mine, and what's mine is hers...so to speak.

It's not so simple though, as we found out.

Ours were done through a soloicitors and questions arose we never even thought of.

Fast forward 12 months........the wife passed away and everything came to me.

My will (as did hers) states that I now leave everything to the children as I outlived her.

Ok...what happens to one childs share should I outlive them?

Does it all go the the remaining child?

Does it go to Grandchildren?

Does that include step Grandchildren?

What I'm saying is the list is endless.....it needs doing by a solicitor that knows their stuff.

£800 is way too expensive by the way.

A couple of hundred sorted ours.

Archived