Reporting benefit fraud - dilemma

As a legal worker/taxpayer, AND someone who has been on the benefits system in the past (and live among people who still are) I realise the "pshyche" of them (and maybe be again sometime in the future).

Having been on both sides of the fence, I'd rather just keep a low profile locally and let them "get on with it" unless their activities directly affect me.

it just seems sensible to making my life easier.

Having been on both sides of the fence, I'd rather just keep a low profile locally and let them "get on with it" unless their activities directly affect me.

If you're a taxpayer, they do directly affect you because they raise the overall tax bill.

If you are a benefit claim, they still directly affect you because they suck money out of the benefits system which should be going to people who need it, not fraudsters.

As a legal worker/taxpayer, AND someone who has been on the benefits system in the past (and live among people who still are) I realise the "pshyche" of them (and maybe be again sometime in the future).

it just seems sensible to making my life easier.

If I thought the goverment did an amazing job with the UK's tax revenue, little wastage, money going to worthwhile causes, etc. I might be outraged at people working cash in hand, but they are so useless that the whole 'my hard earned tax' brigades arguement just seems weak. Out of what you pay personally it's probably amounts to pennies per year. Knowing the goverment and it's beaurocracy it would probably cost more to investigate the guy than he is actually claiming.

Not morally right I know but that's the world we live in.

If you're a taxpayer, they do directly affect you because they raise the overall tax bill.

If you are a benefit claim, they still directly affect you because they suck money out of the benefits system which should be going to people who need it, not fraudsters.

So if overnight there was zero fraud, my taxes would go down?

I don't think so do you?

So if overnight there was zero fraud, my taxes would go down?

I don't think so do you?

The money that gets taken in benefit fraud is chicken feed compared to the vast sums which have been mis-appropriated to bail out the people who became super rich through the activities which brought about a global recession.

The money that gets taken in benefit fraud is chicken feed compared to the vast sums which have been mis-appropriated to bail out the people who became super rich through the activities which brought about a global recession.

but it's so much easier for them to demonise your neighbors! Maybe you'll get so riled up you'll forget who the real bad guys are.

i suspect someone who lives very near me is claiming JSA and working nights, in fact i know he works nights, however, this man is from an eastern european country, i have also had a "run in" with him, now i dont know what to do, my conscience says i should report it but i worry he may suspect its me and he has some dodgy looking mates, i worry for my own safety and maybe he will be deported, what shall i do?

send me the details - i'll happily grass the rat up - but you better be telling the truth :):)

more to the point....

People will always try to get a bit of something for nothing.

Whilst people get a bit of something they will work with it and even make do!

(been there, done that)

HOWEVER

When people are left with nothing, they will do anything to feed themselves or even feed their drug addiction.

Although I agree that is wrong, they WILL take it somehow (probably by crime or fraud), now.... by crime means I have my house emptied and sold at the local carboot sale, or fraud costs me about 10p a week in taxes .....

go figure?

Archived