Time to end the supermarket 'happy hour'?

I'm not promoting anything. If cigarettes are taxed so highly and, soon to be hidden away from public sight in the shops. Why can't the same be done for alcohol?

Because cigarettes couldn't be more different to alcohol and to compare the two is ....... well, just daft really.

I'm not promoting anything. If cigarettes are taxed so highly and, soon to be hidden away from public sight in the shops. Why can't the same be done for alcohol?

But it is. Alcohol is highly taxed, and it's only allowed to be sold in specifically agreed locations in specifically agreed retailers. You could open your front room up as a tobacco shop scott free, but do the same selling alcohol and the law will be on you straight away.

Wouldn't work - people have wildly different dietary requirements. For example, people doing lots of manual labour need much more calories than a phone monkey in a call centre.

Personally I wish the supermarkets at least admitted to their role in "binge drinking britain", rather than always implying it's pubs, bars and clubs which are responsible for all the bad sides of booze. I fully support minimum alcohol pricing, as the only retailers it would affect is the supermarkets. Oddly though, and this is the only time the supermarkets actually say anything about drinking, they don't support the idea at all, and would rather alcohol misuse is cracked down on by stricter licencing regimes. This is all despite the vast majority of young people these days "pre-drinking" their £5 supermarket bought medley of wine, beer and spirits before going into town.

I wasn't suggesting it would work (note the question mark)...it's a ridiculous notion.

There's a simple answer to so called 'binge' drinking. Just ban the sale of 'binge' :hihi::hihi::hihi:

What lies???

That one for a start. You lose the argument the moment you start trying to deny the harmful effects of smoke because no one will take your posts seriously. But if you want to carry on with your lies that's fine. But don't expect anyone to take your posts seriously even if you find a valid point of discussion.

That one for a start. You lose the argument the moment you start trying to deny the harmful effects of smoke because no one will take your posts seriously. But if you want to carry on with your lies that's fine. But don't expect anyone to take your posts seriously even if you find a valid point of discussion.

I never said smoking isn't bad for you.

Evidence please, I've never heard this assertion before.

Yes it is, it's just less harmful.

You are probably wasting your time. We clearly have someone who will deny any reality that doesn't conform to his rant and lie about any any inconvenient facts.

Archived